Christian McArdle

Default Plaster or render?

I've got to decide what to do with the brick wall inside my new
conservatory. Most of the wall is actually French doors, there is only about
an average of 30cm all the wall around the opening. Currently, most of the
wall is painted white with masonry paint, but some is bare brick. Obviously
this all used to be external, but is now internal and has had plenty of time
to dry out.

We were going to just paint it with masonry paint. However, we've now
decided we want something a little less rustic. We've chosen the colour we
want to paint it, but want it flat rather than brick patterned.

Should we use sand/cement render, bonding/skim or one coat plaster? Will
any/all of these will stick to the previous gloss? Do we need to PVA it?

It doesn't need to be flat to bedroom standards, a little roughness won't
worry us. In fact, a sandy like surface would be ideal, which is why I'm
leaning towards render, if it will be suitable.

Christian.

Grunff

Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

Onecoat would be my choice here. It's a lot quicker and easier than
render (because it's less slumpy), and will provide you with the
slightly sandy look by simply brush-finishing it.

As for sticking to the gloss, I'd want to PVA throuroughly. The brick
lines will provide a good key, but it's important to get a good surface
bond too.

--
Grunff

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
Which plaster to use? Bob Minchin UK diy 2 October 19th 03 01:22 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM