Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless heating controls?

Hi All,

Following a our kitchen refit I cant fit our heating controls
back inside the boiler cupboard due to lack of space.
Rather than have the unit screwed onto a tiled wall Id quite
like to go wireless and just have a small reciever next to
the boiler and the control panel in another room.
Has anyone had any experience with the any of the wireless
offerings, (Keeping the hot water cylider wired isnt a problem),
and if so which ones.

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 11:50, Matthew wrote:

Following a our kitchen refit I cant fit our heating controls
back inside the boiler cupboard due to lack of space.
Rather than have the unit screwed onto a tiled wall Id quite
like to go wireless and just have a small reciever next to
the boiler and the control panel in another room.
Has anyone had any experience with the any of the wireless
offerings, (Keeping the hot water cylider wired isnt a problem),
and if so which ones.

Hi,

I've just acquired a Honeywell CMT927 wireless programmable
thermostat, which is the successor of the Honeywell CM67 which got
very good reports in this group (see Google Groups). The receiver box
that gets wired into the boiler is if anything slightly bigger than
the wireless bit itself - it's 130w x 95h x 32d. The advantage is that
it's not just a timer but a thermostat as well, so you can specify
what temperature you want at what time of day and let the system get
on with it. Also you can experiment with the best location to monitor.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 12:19, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
On 21 Aug, 11:50, Matthew wrote:

[...]

A friend has one (make unknown) - he had to get the suppliers back to
fit additional filtering on the mains as it was very erratic in
operation. Has been OK since.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 11:50, Matthew wrote:

Have used Invensys/Drayton Digistats in for the last 7 years (in 2
homes) and can't fault them. Batteries last years and thermostatic
control of heating is far superior to timed - we have the house warmer
in the evening than the morning and a base during the day.

We've also put the stat in our living room rather than a hallway -
that's where we are so that's where it seems sensible to control the
temperature.

I teamed it with a Drayton Tempus for the water which has a useful
'boost' to switch water on for an hour if you run out and a holiday
setting that lets you switch it off for x days but have hot water when
you get home.

My one regret is not getting a dual channel and wiring the stat via
that so we could switch everything off from one place BUT then the
advantage of using the stat is that it will stop the house freezing as
the 'night' setting of the stat (effectively off) will fire up if it
drops below 7 degrees.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the pointers.
Im a bit confused.
Ive had a look at the tech info for
these two systems and Im not sure
whether it allows me to do what I want.

Essentially I need to have a wireless
(lounge based) panel for accessing
the current features on the programmer
for CH and DHW. Presumably this would
consist of an RF base unit next to the
boiler and a remote panel elsewhere.
In not sure about the DHW in this context though.
I would keep the wired cylinder stat
and wired 3 way valve which would
presumably connect back to the unit
next to the boiler.

If you can follow my info can this be done simply?

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:57:39 -0700, Matthew
mused:

Thanks for the pointers.
Im a bit confused.
Ive had a look at the tech info for
these two systems and Im not sure
whether it allows me to do what I want.

Essentially I need to have a wireless
(lounge based) panel for accessing
the current features on the programmer
for CH and DHW. Presumably this would
consist of an RF base unit next to the
boiler and a remote panel elsewhere.
In not sure about the DHW in this context though.
I would keep the wired cylinder stat
and wired 3 way valve which would
presumably connect back to the unit
next to the boiler.

If you can follow my info can this be done simply?

No. Making the heating wireless is easy enough, the DHW not so much.
How much fiddling do you do with the DHW though?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 17:33, Lurch wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:57:39 -0700, Matthew
mused:
If you can follow my info can this be done simply?

No. Making theheatingwirelessis easy enough, the DHW not so much.
How much fiddling do you do with the DHW though?

As Lurch says. Our DHW stays on the same settings all year round - a
few hours in the morning, an hour at lunchtime and a few in the
evening with slightly different timings at weekends. If we have
guests we sometimes need to go and hit the boost button but probably
only a few times each year. We switch the water off when we go on
holiday.

The heating controls get adjusted a few times a week in winter and
switched on and off regularly over spring and autumn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So does this mean If I went for the Honeywell
CM remote control panel I would still need a timeswitch
near the boiler for DHW or does the HC60NG
reciever allow you to set that?

Thanks,
Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 03:32:55 -0700, Matthew
mused:

So does this mean If I went for the Honeywell
CM remote control panel I would still need a timeswitch
near the boiler for DHW

Yes, just a single channel 7 day one will do fine.

or does the HC60NG
reciever allow you to set that?

Is that the receiver that comes with the Honeywell CM67 stat? If so,
then no.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So does this mean If I went for the Honeywell
CM remote control panel I would still need a timeswitch
near the boiler for DHW or does the HC60NG
reciever allow you to set that?

Thanks,
Matt

Combi system question - fitting wireless controls Mike UK diy 11 August 13th 07 03:08 PM
Central Heating Controls Geronimo W. Christ Esq UK diy 9 April 19th 06 07:06 PM
S plan heating controls Dave UK diy 16 February 7th 05 06:09 PM
Central heating with no heating controls Hugo Nebula UK diy 7 October 18th 04 10:17 AM
Central Heating - Controls IMM UK diy 12 September 2nd 03 04:14 PM