Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bricklaying - furrowing bed joints

Just found this:
http://www.archifacts.co.uk/html/Sit...erations1b.htm
All the bricklaying instruction I've seen says to furrow the beds so
the bricks can be tapped down easily. I guess you shouldn't furrow to
excess. The top picture looks just like the result of using a mortar
template like bricky tool etc. Any thoughts from folks with some
bricklaying experience ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 19 Aug, 21:12, sm_jamieson wrote:
Just found this:http://www.archifacts.co.uk/html/Sit...erations1b.htm
All the bricklaying instruction I've seen says to furrow the beds so
the bricks can be tapped down easily. I guess you shouldn't furrow to
excess. The top picture looks just like the result of using a mortar
template like bricky tool etc. Any thoughts from folks with some
bricklaying experience ?
Simon.

Thats rubbish advice from that site.

The brick has to be laid and adjusted in 3 dimensions. You can't do
this expediantly with a solid bed. There will be no give in the bed
joint to allow the brick to be postioned correctly.

The furrows allow both adjustment and increase suction and bond of the
brick to the mortar.

The art is to lay enough mortar so that once the brick is in position,
the bed has compacted to solid mortar, and just enough has been
squeezed out to allow for jointing the next brick

dg

bricklaying mortar sm_jamieson UK diy 19 August 14th 07 08:31 AM
Traditional M&T joints or floating Tennon joints? mcgyver Woodworking 12 August 13th 06 02:40 PM
bricklaying and DPC [email protected] UK diy 8 November 2nd 05 11:03 PM
brikmat bricklaying aid Simon UK diy 3 April 19th 05 07:27 PM
bricklaying bill UK diy 26 November 6th 04 01:36 AM