Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone bought bricks recently?

A friend of mine went to a builders merchant last week to order 1,100
bricks, nothing special just fairly bog standard flettons. He nearly
fell off the floor when they quoted over £600.

Have they really gone up that much, or did they just decide he looked
gullible enough to single handedly fund their Christmas bonus?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 8:31 pm, John Rumm wrote:
A friend of mine went to a builders merchant last week to order 1,100
bricks, nothing special just fairly bog standard flettons. He nearly
fell off the floor when they quoted over £600.

Have they really gone up that much, or did they just decide he looked
gullible enough to single handedly fund their Christmas bonus?

--
Cheers,

John.

Probably about right as some bricks, especiaslly LBC's, have gone up
considerably. I recently had some heathers at £450 per thousand plus
Vat. Surprisingly though there are also some bargains about. EH Smiths
are knocking out Oxten red multi's at £185 per thou plus vat??

Regards
Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

legin wrote:

Probably about right as some bricks, especiaslly LBC's, have gone up
considerably.

Yup, these were LBC...

Vat. Surprisingly though there are also some bargains about. EH Smiths
are knocking out Oxten red multi's at £185 per thou plus vat??

Not bad... alas not going to match the existing in this case.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
A friend of mine went to a builders merchant last week to order 1,100
bricks, nothing special just fairly bog standard flettons. He nearly
fell off the floor when they quoted over £600.

Have they really gone up that much, or did they just decide he looked
gullible enough to single handedly fund their Christmas bonus?

Wickes list Facing bricks at £170:86 inc VAT for pallet of 452, so on 1100
it would be about £415.

Builders merchants do try to rip off the public IME. Shop around.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
A friend of mine went to a builders merchant last week to order 1,100
bricks, nothing special just fairly bog standard flettons. He nearly
fell off the floor when they quoted over £600.

Have they really gone up that much, or did they just decide he looked
gullible enough to single handedly fund their Christmas bonus?

Wickes list Facing bricks at £170:86 inc VAT for pallet of 452, so on 1100
it would be about £415.

Yup, saw those - even that seems steep. Last time I looked they were
more like 200 - 250 per thousand.

Builders merchants do try to rip off the public IME. Shop around.

This was not "public" buying in this case though, but a builder! He
pushed em for every discount he could get out of them as well.

It was probably made worse by needing to find a close ish match to a
brick that went out of production (along with its maker) some ten years
back.

--
Cheers,

John.