Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joe Joe is offline

Default Flat cat5/6 cable

hi all,

Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
find uk seller?

cheers

Joe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, Joe
wrote
hi all,

Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
find uk seller?

Assembled cat5 flat cables

www.cpc.co.uk

10m approx £14
15m approx £17

Search for 'cat5 flat' on the opening page

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
hi all,

Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
find uk seller?

cheers

Joe.

If you get stuck you could always make your own using torn down flat'n'twist
cable:-

http://tinyurl.com/3xngko

This has the same nominal Zo (100R) as cat5 and is certainly within the cat5
spec. of 22dB loss over 100m.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2007 09:50, Alan wrote:
In message .com, Joe
wrote
hi all,

Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
find uk seller?

Assembled cat5 flat cables
www.cpc.co.uk
Search for 'cat5 flat' on the opening page

which are actually these
http://www.videkonline.co.uk/home.as...28&chapterID=3

They do say they are "CAT5e UTP" but they look suspiciously like a 8
core version of the 6 parallel core cable used by DECconnect, not much
room or evidence of twists from the photo. Over £1/m pretty expensive too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alan
wrote
In message .com, Joe
wrote
hi all,

Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
find uk seller?

Assembled cat5 flat cables

www.cpc.co.uk

10m approx £14
15m approx £17

Search for 'cat5 flat' on the opening page

They also do longer lengths
http://cpc.farnell.com/images/en_CC/Comp1_June%20l.pdf
page 59.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2007 09:59, Icky Thwacket wrote:

If you get stuck you could always make your own using torn down flat'n'twist
cable:-

http://tinyurl.com/3xngko

This has the same nominal Zo (100R) as cat5 and is certainly within the cat5
spec. of 22dB loss over 100m.

The "flat" sections would allow some interference or cross-talk and the
pairs should really all have different twist rates, not the same, but
for reasonably short lengths should get away with it, gigabit might
complain more than 10/100Mb (assuming the OP wants this for ethernet).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joe Joe is offline

On 19 Aug, 09:50, Alan wrote:
In message .com, Joe
wrote

hi all,

Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
find uk seller?

Assembled cat5 flat cables

www.cpc.co.uk

10m approx £14
15m approx £17

Search for 'cat5 flat' on the opening page

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Many thanks Alan,

Joe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
On 19/08/2007 09:59, Icky Thwacket wrote:

If you get stuck you could always make your own using torn down flat'n'twist
cable:-

http://tinyurl.com/3xngko

This has the same nominal Zo (100R) as cat5 and is certainly within the cat5
spec. of 22dB loss over 100m.

The "flat" sections would allow some interference or cross-talk and the
pairs should really all have different twist rates, not the same, but
for reasonably short lengths should get away with it, gigabit might
complain more than 10/100Mb (assuming the OP wants this for ethernet).

I trust you'll be running this where people dont generally walk, eg
around the edges. Otherwise thin copper cores may fail after a while.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

which are actually thesehttp://www.videkonline.co.uk/home.asp?page=SubSections&sectionID=28&c...

They do say they are "CAT5e UTP" but they look suspiciously like a 8
core version of the 6 parallel core cable used by DECconnect, not much
room or evidence of twists from the photo. Over £1/m pretty expensive too.

I have a load of 8-core "DECconnect"-like RJ45-terminated cables I'd
be happy to find a good home for at about £1/m less. However, it's
definitely not twisted. The venerable 1994 catalogue proudly says
"tested for data rates up to 20MHz", which may not be enough. Also,
it's not particularly thin and if your resident princesses have been
practising on peas, you'll need to cut out the underlay, in which case
you might as well use the round stuff.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joe wrote:
hi all,

Does anyonw know where I can get flat cat5 or 6 cable. Want to run
them under my carpet. Can see a couple of sites on google but they are
in the states. Would like about 30-50 feet cables but can't seem to
find uk seller?

cheers

Joe.

Its very hard to get the correct characteristcs with flat cables. It CAN
be done, but you pay.