Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete entrance hall/downstairs loo.

I'm renewing the floor covering of the entrance hall/downstairs loo to
my 1960s home. It is outside the house under a flat roof which it shares
with the front bit of the integral garage Previously it was carpet on
top of parquet on top of marley tiles. The marley tiles are loose and
seem to have been originally stick down with a tar-like substance. I
suspect the floor is a little damp which has lifted the tiles, but there
is no sign of damp on the garage floor which is at a slightly lower
level. It is also cracked and raised up slightly where the floor meets
the house.

I haven't got much time so intend to bolster out any loose material and
level the floor. I have a small bag of ready mixed concrete for this
purpose. I have some left over ceramic tiles which I'd like to lay on
top. If I suspect the floor is slightly damp, what adhesive should I
use? Does the floor really need replacing? If so will my repair last a
little while until I can undertake this rather more expensive job?
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Berrow wrote:
[...]

If you use my all time favourite ARDEX rapid set floor tile adhesive,
mixed stiff, you can lay tiles on beds of up to 2"..in emergencies!

Which obviates the need for any concrete. If the loose stuff is really
deep, simply remove any large chunks - or in fact slosh thinned PVA
around with gay abandon to bind it all together, use some of the tile
cement to level off, or indeed just lay straight on: you SHOULD PVA an
unsealed floor first, anyway, to reduce water absorption. Ardex rapid
set goes rubbery in about 45 minutes and is walkable over or kneelable
on, in 3-4 hours. Overnight rock hard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher contained the following:

If you use my all time favourite ARDEX rapid set floor tile adhesive,
mixed stiff, you can lay tiles on beds of up to 2"..in emergencies!

Which obviates the need for any concrete. If the loose stuff is really
deep, simply remove any large chunks - or in fact slosh thinned PVA
around with gay abandon to bind it all together, use some of the tile
cement to level off, or indeed just lay straight on: you SHOULD PVA an
unsealed floor first, anyway, to reduce water absorption. Ardex rapid
set goes rubbery in about 45 minutes and is walkable over or kneelable
on, in 3-4 hours. Overnight rock hard.

Cool, which one?
http://www.ardex.co.uk/search_result...tile&Submit=Go
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher contained the following:

If you use my all time favourite ARDEX rapid set floor tile adhesive,
mixed stiff, you can lay tiles on beds of up to 2"..in emergencies!

Looked in the local shed for some of this but they only had Unibond
stuff and it was over 22 quid for a little bag.

I knew a builder who used to make his own, anyone got a recipe?
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try looking in Yellow Pages for a local flooring contractor - they
might well be happy to sell it to you.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:12:42 +0100 Geoff Berrow
wrote:

Philosopher contained the following:

If you use my all time favourite ARDEX rapid set floor tile adhesive,
mixed stiff, you can lay tiles on beds of up to 2"..in emergencies!

Looked in the local shed for some of this but they only had Unibond
stuff and it was over 22 quid for a little bag.

I knew a builder who used to make his own, anyone got a recipe?

- Steve Lowe
- E-Mail :
- Before Replying Remove .NO.SPAM
- UK Resident although my e-mail address is usa.net

Downstairs loo Nicknoxx UK diy 11 March 18th 07 10:38 AM
Leakproofing Spa thermostat entrance Ignoramus4299 Home Repair 3 October 6th 06 04:32 PM
Service entrance through gutters Ed Home Repair 8 July 12th 06 08:52 PM
Downstairs toilet Peter Charlwood UK diy 1 January 18th 05 02:24 AM
Do I need an entrance head? SQLit Home Repair 0 August 17th 04 04:47 PM