Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which Bosch Drill?

I'm looking to buy a new cordless drill. I've got a decent mains SDS
drill, so this one will be used for general purpose around the house
eg putting up curtain rails, screwdriving etc.

I've got access to discount on Bosch drills, so am going to go for a
blue Bosch drill (unless there's a really good reason not to). A
couple of questions:

- 18v or 24v (or doesn't it matter)?

- I'm assuming I should be going for a drill driver, rather than the
hammer (as I've already got a bigger SDS drill with hammer action)

- Can anyone recommend a particular model?

Thanks,

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've used one of the bosch 14.4v models (GSR 14,4V) for over 2 years,
and it's my absolute workhorse.

Deciding factors on which exact model may be weight (are you using
more small screws or more large) and what other cordless devices you
may want in the same voltage range (buying naked tools without
batteries is very economical).

There are also some current offers bundling cordless driver and impact
driver together - very well worth considering.

Other than that, I wouldn't say there's much to decide between them. I
think they all have autolock chucks, fast chargers, 2 or more
batteries etc.

I did recently buy a naked 14.4v impact driver - but that's mostly a
tool to use when the sds is just too big to fit a confined space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-13 09:23:44 +0100, said:

I'm looking to buy a new cordless drill. I've got a decent mains SDS
drill, so this one will be used for general purpose around the house
eg putting up curtain rails, screwdriving etc.

I've got access to discount on Bosch drills, so am going to go for a
blue Bosch drill (unless there's a really good reason not to). A
couple of questions:

- 18v or 24v (or doesn't it matter)?

- I'm assuming I should be going for a drill driver, rather than the
hammer (as I've already got a bigger SDS drill with hammer action)

- Can anyone recommend a particular model?

Thanks,

Michael

I would consider the following:

- Are you going to have projects that will involve long periods of use
of the tool? These might be boarding a loft, fixing down ply to a
floor as a base for tiling, making a deck and the like - in other
words, something involving several hundred holes/screws.

- Do you envisage projects with long/large screws - e.g. 5mm sized screws?

The capacity of the tool, in the case of a decent one, increases with
battery voltage, but so does the weight. Really, a 14.4v model would
cover general purpose applications and the lower weight appealing for
lengthy jobs b ut might not be man enough for projects involving
long/large screws. With increasing weight, not only can use be more
tiring but it becomes more fiddly to manage with jobs needing smaller
holes screws. This is eased a bit with having a good quality and well
balanced drill such as Bosch, Makita, etc. but can be a nightmare with
a cheap generic product.

For projects involving a lot of screws/holes, again in a good quality
drill where the batteries are decent, the larger drill will give more
run time between charges. However, a better solution to that is to
make sure that you get two or even three batteries and a 1 hour
charger. This should allow for continuous or almost continuous
running.

Given the application range you describe, I'd choose an 18v model on
this first set of criteria.

Other considerations are to take a look at Bosch's ranges of cordless
tools. Look for commonality of battery use between tool types. You
might want to have something else at some stage which uses the same
battery type. Bought without batteries and charger, these can be very
cost effective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I did recently buy a naked 14.4v impact driver - but that's mostly a
tool to use when the sds is just too big to fit a confined space.

Sorry, that should read "combi drill". The impact driver gets daily
use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies. In the end I followed the advice and, rather
than going for 'bigger is better', went for the 14.4v. I'm glad I did
as I think I might have found the weight of the larger ones a bit
irritating for things like screwdriving.

Michael