Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Fitting 72cm plaster ceiling roses and chandelier

I've bought a 72cm plaster ceiling rose that I want to fit in a room.
It came without fitting instructions and is very heavy (~8.7kg).

If anyone has any experience fitting heavy roses I'd very much
appreciate some pointers.

The wife also wants to fit a chandelier below it which looks from the
catalogue like it fits to the ceiling with a single chain. Presumably
I need some kind of hook fixing to attach to the joist above, and I'm
trying to work out the logistics of whether to fix a hook first, then
fit the rose around the hook (with an unpleasant large hole in the
centre of the rose for the hook to pass through), or fit the rose
first, and then attach a hook through the rose (I'm worried of
cracking the rose).

Any helpful information would be much appreciated - I am beginning to
wonder whether I'd be better off paying a decorator to fit it for me.

Thanks for any responses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Mine is large and heavy and was fitted with two securing screws in the
perimeter side of the hole and also drywall adhesive around the perimeter of
the edge of the ceiling rose with dabs of it randomly over the back of it.
I then positioned it in place with the two screws and twisted it back and
forth on the ceiling so that the adhesive squeezed out of the sides and
screwed the screws fully home,wiped the excess adhesive off ...job done.

A noggin screwed to the joist above will be adequate to hold the chandelier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 21:38:41 +0100, Owain
mused:

Besa Box:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20BX1G.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20BX1BOG.html

You can get loop in boxes with plain sides, slightly easier to fit.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:50:51 +0100, Owain
mused:

Lurch wrote:
You can get loop in boxes with plain sides, slightly easier to fit.
Illustrate your pearls of wisdom with a link please :-)

No, I couldn;t see one on the TLC site so just mentioned it as I
assumed that what with me fitted loads of the things on the bottom of
galv trunking for plug in ceiling roses on commercial jobs would do as
a trusted source for the fact they are available. Obviously not.

Oh, I trust you, but for the benefit of the OP it's easier if he has a
printout he can take into his local merchant and say "I want one of
those please"

Yeah, but after searching for an hour I still can't find any info, and
I know *exactly* what I' looking for!

The OP should be fine asking for a plain galv loop in box.

I have had to find some somewhere else, and none of my wholesalers
have online shopfronts. The work I have to do for some people.
/tut, rolleyes etc...

But see how grateful we all are. passes Lurch a virtual slice of home
made fudge You wouldn't get that on the Screwf*x forums...

http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Cable+Management/Round+Metal+Conduit+%26+Accessories/20mm+Galvanised/Loop-In+Box+1+Hole+20mm+Galvanised/1654761149
Bit like that, but you can get proper ones made like proper galv
boxes, not some bent tin.

If it's holding up the lady of the house's illuminatory baubles
something better than bent tin might be required.

Yep, the link was more of an illustration of what it is, rather than
the exact one required.

Stop Press, found some!

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/catalog/291

Best I can find, I'm giving it a rest now.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Lurch wrote:
[...]

I just want to thank Owain, Stuart (and George) for all their
feedback. It's been most helpful.

I'll let you know how things progress...