Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bank card lost in washing machine ...

I just suffered a triple whammy.
I left a bank card in a shirt pocket
when washing a load in our AEG OKO-Lavamat 605 machine.

This seems to have stopped the machine working.
I suspect the card has somehow found its way
between the two drums.

Is it possible for an amateur to dis-assemble the machine
to a sufficient extent to recover the card,
or do I need to call in an expert?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I just suffered a triple whammy.
I left a bank card in a shirt pocket
when washing a load in our AEG OKO-Lavamat 605 machine.

This seems to have stopped the machine working.
I suspect the card has somehow found its way
between the two drums.

Is it possible for an amateur to dis-assemble the machine
to a sufficient extent to recover the card,
or do I need to call in an expert?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I'm not familiar with this machine and you haven't given too many clues to
what has happened. If the machine is still full of water it is probable
that the card has been broken (it's unlikely to be strong enough to stop
the drum turning) and is now jamming the drain pump. Somewher at the bottom
of the machine there may be a little hatch allowing access to the
sump/filter - check in there - but you may need to empty the machine first
by lowering the drain hose into a bucket.
TURN THE POWER OFF before playing!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Andrews wrote:

I left a bank card in a shirt pocket
when washing a load in our AEG OKO-Lavamat 605 machine.

This seems to have stopped the machine working.
I suspect the card has somehow found its way
between the two drums.

Is it possible for an amateur to dis-assemble the machine
to a sufficient extent to recover the card,
or do I need to call in an expert?

I'm not familiar with this machine and you haven't given too many clues to
what has happened. If the machine is still full of water it is probable
that the card has been broken (it's unlikely to be strong enough to stop
the drum turning) and is now jamming the drain pump. Somewher at the
bottom of the machine there may be a little hatch allowing access to the
sump/filter - check in there - but you may need to empty the machine first
by lowering the drain hose into a bucket.

Thanks for your response.

I managed to empty the water, and open the door.
I've actually taken out the pump.
Hopefully all that is needed is a new pump.
It is just that the card - which I saw inside the machine -
appears to have disappeared, and it seems rather a coincidence
that the machine stopped working shortly after.

I asked at our local AEG store,
and the man there said the card could have got between the two drums,
though I don't see how.

Anyway, I'll probably try a new pump first.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I just suffered a triple whammy.
I left a bank card in a shirt pocket
when washing a load in our AEG OKO-Lavamat 605 machine.

I've heard of laundering money but this goes beyond it. :-)

There is no way the card will have got between the drum and the outer drum.

Check the clothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:35:32 +0100, Timothy Murphy
mused:

Peter Andrews wrote:

[...]

Define 'stopped working'

I asked at our local AEG store,
and the man there said the card could have got between the two drums,
though I don't see how.

Inbetween the 2 drums at the front.

Anyway, I'll probably try a new pump first.

Does the old one not work then? Have you tested it?
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I just suffered a triple whammy.
I left a bank card in a shirt pocket
when washing a load in our AEG OKO-Lavamat 605 machine.

I've heard of laundering money but this goes beyond it. :-)

There is no way the card will have got between the drum and the outer drum.

Check the clothing.

Lovely mental image, man goes to bank and endeavours to get washing
machine into ATM. LOL

Washing Machine Help greg UK diy 4 March 19th 07 01:51 PM
[OT?] Destroying data on bank card Sammy UK diy 23 November 12th 05 12:14 PM
How big should washing machine be? [email protected] Home Ownership 3 October 5th 05 02:29 AM
Trying to fix a washing machine David Morris UK diy 13 June 3rd 05 07:01 PM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 05:32 PM