Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Useful accessory for power tools

HI all.
I have some newel posts that need sanding and I'm not looking forward
to it.
But I'm sure I'd be happier about it if someone would add an accessory
for a reciprocating saw machine. This would be a type of mandril
which could grip sandpaper. I think the reciprocating action is a
lot
more suited to sandpapering where a newel has multiple radii..both
concave and convex.

You could say. why not use a dremel type tool
with the cylindrical sandpaper thing. But I' can't fancy that
particular tool
for this type of job

What do you think?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
HI all.
I have some newel posts that need sanding and I'm not looking forward
to it.

Why do they need sanding? If it's just to remove paint, I'd think about
chemical strippers. I chopped mine off and dowelled it back again when
I'd had it stripped

But I'm sure I'd be happier about it if someone would add an accessory
for a reciprocating saw machine. This would be a type of mandril
which could grip sandpaper. I think the reciprocating action is a
lot
more suited to sandpapering where a newel has multiple radii..both
concave and convex.

You could say. why not use a dremel type tool
with the cylindrical sandpaper thing. But I' can't fancy that
particular tool
for this type of job

What do you think?

Arthur

A flapwheel is the only way I know to sand profiles, and they knock all
the corners off the moulding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug, 12:42, Stuart Noble wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
[...]

If a flap wheel duffs up the corners then its not a suitable method.
So the
only way of sanding the detail on a newel is by hand. To do this you
have to wrap a piece of sand paper around your finger and rub with a
reciprocating action.
Hence my suggestion.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
ups.com...
HI all.
I have some newel posts that need sanding and I'm not looking forward
to it.
But I'm sure I'd be happier about it if someone would add an accessory
for a reciprocating saw machine. This would be a type of mandril
which could grip sandpaper. I think the reciprocating action is a
lot
more suited to sandpapering where a newel has multiple radii..both
concave and convex.

You could say. why not use a dremel type tool
with the cylindrical sandpaper thing. But I' can't fancy that
particular tool
for this type of job

What do you think?

Arthur

I presume you already have the paint stripped off? if not coat the newel
post in paint stripper then cover in tin foil to keep the PS moist.
Leave it for a couple of hours and the paint should flake off when you strip
the tin foil off,you ight have to scrape the nichess of the newel but
basically the majority of paint will come off without any effort.

All you have to do then is clean it up with coarse wirewool which will give
a nice fine surface for staining if thats what you are intending?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
[...]

I hear the Fein Multimaster can do anything

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug, 14:48, "George" wrote:
"Arthur 51" wrote in message

[...]

I've got the paint off but the previously it was stained and
varnished.
I've used nitromors and wire wool and this isn't vicious enough to
take the dull
browny grey colour.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 1 Aug, 14:48, "George" wrote:
"Arthur 51" wrote in message

[...]

Then use sharp(new)stanley knife blades as a scraper,the chances you getting
the stain out are slim if it has penetrated the wood deeply?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Aug, 15:34, "George" wrote:
"Arthur 51" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 1 Aug, 14:48, "George" wrote:
"Arthur 51" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I used a sanding m/c on the flat parts and it came out without too
much effort.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 1 Aug, 15:34, "George" wrote:
"Arthur 51" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 1 Aug, 14:48, "George" wrote:
"Arthur 51" wrote in message

[...]

The blade method should work fine,but...if not get a suade brush from a
cobblers or key cutter shop which is brass bristles and wont har the wood.
I use one when getting laquer and stain out of old clock case restoring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
On 1 Aug, 15:34, "George" wrote:
"Arthur 51" wrote in message

ups.com...

On 1 Aug, 14:48, "George" wrote:
"Arthur 51" wrote in message
[...]

In that case a little more Nitromors with steel wool might work. You
need to rub it till the wood is dry and, hopefully, the steel wool then
holds all the gunk. You get through a lot of wool but it usually gives
you a clean finish. One of the problems with strippers is that the
residue soaks back into the wood and solidifies again when the solvent
has evaporated.
Bleach (2 part woodworking) might help. Even if it doesn't lighten it
sufficiently, it usually improves the appearance

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

I have some newel posts that need sanding and I'm not looking forward
to it.
But I'm sure I'd be happier about it if someone would add an accessory
for a reciprocating saw machine. This would be a type of mandril
which could grip sandpaper. I think the reciprocating action is a
lot
more suited to sandpapering where a newel has multiple radii..both
concave and convex.

A loop of narrow emery cloth looped round the post and pulled back and
forth can work here. (a narrow sanding belt for a "powerfile" type of
belt sander can work)

You could say. why not use a dremel type tool
with the cylindrical sandpaper thing. But I' can't fancy that
particular tool
for this type of job

What do you think?

Multimaster with the profile sanding widget on it might do what you want.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Arthur 51 writes
I presume you already have the paint stripped off? if not coat the newel
post in paint stripper then cover in tin foil to keep the PS moist.
Leave it for a couple of hours and the paint should flake off when you strip
the tin foil off,you ight have to scrape the nichess of the newel but
basically the majority of paint will come off without any effort.

All you have to do then is clean it up with coarse wirewool which will give
a nice fine surface for staining if thats what you are intending?

I've got the paint off but the previously it was stained and
varnished.
I've used nitromors and wire wool and this isn't vicious enough to
take the dull
browny grey colour.

Arthur

Angle grinder

YKIMS

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Arthur 51 wrote:

[...]

Spooky.
I was thinking of that precise gadget last week but I gave up hope that
anyone was as clever as me.
You guys should buy shares in the people,; they are friggin phenomenal.

Arthur

FS: Power tools Teejay Woodworking 0 July 22nd 07 04:34 PM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Install basement dehumidifier? (power tools, tools, damp air) Thomas G. Marshall Woodworking 10 January 4th 06 06:12 PM
JCB power tools ? Bob Dung UK diy 9 January 25th 05 02:08 AM
Power tools - best value ? [email protected] Metalworking 1 November 6th 03 01:42 PM