Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best board for wardrobe doors

Hi all.
What s the best materal for wardrobe doors?
i.e. ply, chpboard, blockboard, mdf etc?
And also what thickness?
The doors will be about 1.8m high and 55cm wde.

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message
Hi all.
What s the best materal for wardrobe doors?
i.e. ply, chpboard, blockboard, mdf etc?
And also what thickness?
The doors will be about 1.8m high and 55cm wde.

Sliding or hinged?
Painted or some other finish?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Arthur2" wrote in message
Hi all.
What s the best materal for wardrobe doors?
i.e. ply, chpboard, blockboard, mdf etc?
And also what thickness?
The doors will be about 1.8m high and 55cm wde.

Sliding or hinged?
Painted or some other finish?

Sliding doors. And am undecided about finish.
I only know that I will fix a 1" oak border around them.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jul, 23:40, "Arthur2" wrote:

Hi all.
What s the best materal for wardrobe doors?
i.e. ply, chpboard, blockboard, mdf etc?
And also what thickness?
The doors will be about 1.8m high and 55cm wde.

Thanks.

Arthur

depends on your app really. If you want white wipe clean, melamine. If
you want a wood finish, either pineboard, blockboard or ply. If you
want indestructability, ply. If you want curved doors, wigglewood on a
wood frame.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 30 Jul, 23:40, "Arthur2" wrote:

Hi all.
What s the best materal for wardrobe doors?
i.e. ply, chpboard, blockboard, mdf etc?
And also what thickness?
The doors will be about 1.8m high and 55cm wde.

Thanks.

Arthur

depends on your app really. If you want white wipe clean, melamine. If
you want a wood finish, either pineboard, blockboard or ply. If you
want indestructability, ply. If you want curved doors, wigglewood on a
wood frame.

NT

Rather than using just sheet material for the whole door you can also create
wooden frames with panels of thin material set in

This would allow the use of say 8mm melamine faced board or say 6mm ply or
even veneered MDF

Also reduces the weight of the door and makes the top fixing for the sliding
door track in solid wood rather than the edge of the sheet

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message
Hi all.
What s the best materal for wardrobe doors?
i.e. ply, chpboard, blockboard, mdf etc?
And also what thickness?
The doors will be about 1.8m high and 55cm wde.

Sliding or hinged?
Painted or some other finish?

Sliding doors. And am undecided about finish.
I only know that I will fix a 1" oak border around them.

I would think 9 mm mdf would be OK.
Mine are 6 mm but are a bit floppy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message
Hi all.
What s the best materal for wardrobe doors?
i.e. ply, chpboard, blockboard, mdf etc?
And also what thickness?
The doors will be about 1.8m high and 55cm wde.

Thanks.

Arthur

All good stuff. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jul, 14:24, "TMC" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On 30 Jul, 23:40, "Arthur2" wrote:

[...]

I like the idea of using a melamine laminate and having the laminate
side on the inner surface of the door. That will simplify things a
lot.
Then on the plain side I could use a quality laminate or I was also
thinking of the leatherette fabrics..

Arthur

sliding wardrobe doors Ed UK diy 1 February 11th 07 12:18 AM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
updating wardrobe doors Frisket UK diy 6 September 11th 03 08:02 AM
Wardrobe doors Tricky Dicky UK diy 0 August 20th 03 04:36 PM
Wide Wardrobe Doors Andrew May UK diy 1 August 15th 03 08:01 AM