Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stuck ball valve

Drained a bit of water out of my central heating system today in order to
add a cleaner (Header tank installation)

Shocked to find I couldn't bleed any air our later. Other rads sucked. I
found that the ball valve wasn't letting in water. I fiddled a about with
the plunger (it is a plastic one) and eventually it worked.

Is this common?

Will turn off the water tomorrow and dismantle it - in a really awkward
location though. Must have been easy for the builders before the roof was
fitted!!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:03:45 GMT someone who may be "John"
wrote this:-

Shocked to find I couldn't bleed any air our later. Other rads sucked. I
found that the ball valve wasn't letting in water. I fiddled a about with
the plunger (it is a plastic one) and eventually it worked.

Is this common?

Such valves don't operate often, so can seize. Make it part of your
maintenance regime to operate them once or twice a year.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:03:45 +0000, John wrote:

Shocked to find I couldn't bleed any air our later. Other rads sucked. I
found that the ball valve wasn't letting in water. I fiddled a about
with the plunger (it is a plastic one) and eventually it worked.

Is this common?

It happens. Had one the other day where I _wanted_ to turn off the supply
to the header but couldn't find the internal stopcock and the outside one
was occupied by an ants' nest. Fortunately the valve had stuck and the
header tank was already empty!

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:03:45 +0000, John wrote:

Shocked to find I couldn't bleed any air our later. Other rads sucked. I
found that the ball valve wasn't letting in water. I fiddled a about
with the plunger (it is a plastic one) and eventually it worked.

Is this common?

It happens. Had one the other day where I _wanted_ to turn off the supply
to the header but couldn't find the internal stopcock and the outside one
was occupied by an ants' nest. Fortunately the valve had stuck and the
header tank was already empty!

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again

I am wondering about fitting a filling loop and doing away with the tank.
However, the system (and house) is 20 years old with a Worcester Heatslave
Highflow Boiler. It has all the facilities for a direct feed (pressure
vessel, gauge, etc)

It would be fairly easy - but could I end up creating other problems?