Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Side Extension Price

I'd just like to know how much and up and down side extension 12ft
wide and 25 ft long could cost (and just a very rough figure). This
extension is to make my house wider and add two top bedrooms and a
downstairs reception.

Please, remember I just want a rough figure for an economical
extension. What's the cheapest I can expect to pay? I already know I'd
need planning permision.

TH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tyler" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd just like to know how much and up and down side extension 12ft
wide and 25 ft long could cost (and just a very rough figure). This
extension is to make my house wider and add two top bedrooms and a
downstairs reception.

Please, remember I just want a rough figure for an economical
extension. What's the cheapest I can expect to pay? I already know

I'd
need planning permision.

TH

£1K per square metre of generated room size is a rough approximation

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Tyler" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd just like to know how much and up and down side extension 12ft
wide and 25 ft long could cost (and just a very rough figure). This
extension is to make my house wider and add two top bedrooms and a
downstairs reception.

Please, remember I just want a rough figure for an economical
extension. What's the cheapest I can expect to pay? I already know I'd
need planning permision.

TH

A common costing nowadays is £1000 per square metre for carcass building.
£1500 per square metre for finished 'liveable' rooms.
£2000 for quality fittings.

Which (for 2 floors) comes in at
£50,000 for the shell
£75,000 for finished rooms
£100,000 if you want top notch fixtures, fittings and furniture.

These are ballpark figures and assume little or no DIY content.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jul, 00:15, "OG" wrote:
"Tyler" wrote in message

ups.com...

I'd just like to know how much and up and down side extension 12ft
wide and 25 ft long could cost (and just a very rough figure). This
extension is to make my house wider and add two top bedrooms and a
downstairs reception.

Please, remember I just want a rough figure for an economical
extension. What's the cheapest I can expect to pay? I already know I'd
need planning permision.

TH

A common costing nowadays is £1000 per square metre for carcass building.
£1500 per square metre for finished 'liveable' rooms.
£2000 for quality fittings.

Which (for 2 floors) comes in at
£50,000 for the shell
£75,000 for finished rooms
£100,000 if you want top notch fixtures, fittings and furniture.

These are ballpark figures and assume little or no DIY content.

Thank you!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

OG wrote:
"Tyler" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd just like to know how much and up and down side extension 12ft
wide and 25 ft long could cost (and just a very rough figure). This
extension is to make my house wider and add two top bedrooms and a
downstairs reception.

Please, remember I just want a rough figure for an economical
extension. What's the cheapest I can expect to pay? I already know I'd
need planning permision.

TH

A common costing nowadays is £1000 per square metre for carcass building.
£1500 per square metre for finished 'liveable' rooms.
£2000 for quality fittings.

Which (for 2 floors) comes in at
£50,000 for the shell
£75,000 for finished rooms
£100,000 if you want top notch fixtures, fittings and furniture.

These are ballpark figures and assume little or no DIY content.

Why is it double for 2 floors? I'd have thought a large part of the cost
is the floor/roof/foundation, and the extra skin of brick/openings
wouldn't double the cost. Maybe factor 1.5 to account for scaffolding?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Tyler" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd just like to know how much and up and down side extension 12ft
wide and 25 ft long could cost (and just a very rough figure). This
extension is to make my house wider and add two top bedrooms and a
downstairs reception.

Please, remember I just want a rough figure for an economical
extension. What's the cheapest I can expect to pay? I already know

I'd
need planning permision.

TH

£1K per square metre of generated room size is a rough approximation

.... feels faint ...

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Rob" wrote in message
OG wrote:
"Tyler" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You also have to consider deeper foundations, 2 lots of ceilings and floors,
twice as much plastering, cabling, plumbing; stairs in the extension or work
needed to connect the extension to the existing house (which may be more
complicated upstairs).

Figures are ballpark anyway.
Given that they are ballpark figures

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
£1K per square metre of generated room size is a rough approximation

.... feels faint ...

A Travel-thing style hotel usually starts from about £30k per bedroom, and
they're usually modular/prefab construction which should be quicker and
cheaper.

And pretty awful to boot!

(I once visited someone, never stayed in one).

Nowt's cheap except words

DIY must be less expensive though and this IS a DIY group ...

Mary

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

OG wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
OG wrote:
"Tyler" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Indeed - thanks.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

following:

Figures are ballpark anyway.
Given that they are ballpark figures

I thought ballparks would be cheaper to build than that...
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jul, 10:02, "OG" wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message

OG wrote:
"Tyler" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Its usual to spec the same foundations for 1 or 2 storey. Start at 1
metre plus maybe more when the BCO looks down the 'ole.
The shell price should be substantially less than double the price of
a single.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 29 Jul, 10:02, "OG" wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message

OG wrote:
"Tyler" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Foundations don't cost that much unless hand dug.

What actually costs is not the shell anyway..its the windows, doors,
plastering, flooring,wiring, plumbing etc etc.

which is all in direct relation to floor area by and large.

Simon.