Posted to uk.d-i-y
darren_forward

Default Extension to side of house. Electrics

I have built a Garage on the side of the house, If i extend the
ringmain and the one of the lighting ccts into the garage for some
sockets/lighting.

Does this come under Part P.

Thanks

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 25 Mar 2006 07:41:54 -0800, darren_forward wrote:

If i extend the
ringmain and the one of the lighting ccts into the garage

I wouldn't extend the ring main, even if you are allowed to. Put in a
new circuit with a 10mA RCD.

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On 25 Mar 2006 07:41:54 -0800, darren_forward wrote:

If i extend the
ringmain and the one of the lighting ccts into the garage

I wouldn't extend the ring main, even if you are allowed to. Put in a
new circuit with a 10mA RCD.

--
Nigel M

The strict answer is yes is does, and ignoe the crap advice above, unless
the garage has a swimming pool in it. However a seperate circuit from the
house is a good dea, just not on a 10mA RCD.

Regards

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:55:41 GMT, Stephen Dawson wrote:

However a seperate circuit from the
house is a good dea, just not on a 10mA RCD.

May I ask why you think this?

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Nigel Molesworth writes:
On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:55:41 GMT, Stephen Dawson wrote:

However a seperate circuit from the
house is a good dea, just not on a 10mA RCD.

May I ask why you think this?

I don't know what Stephen has in mind, but IME 10mA RCDs are
only useful where they are supplying a single appliance, and
since you might want to run multiple appliances in your garage,
that would be inappropriate. If you want to run a fridge or
freezer in there, I would lay on a non-RCD protected supply
just for that too.

I use a 10mA RCD (RCBO in fact) for my outdoor sockets, and
they only get the lawn mower or hedge trimmer used singularly.

I used them in another house on each of two separate circuits,
boiler in the bathroom, and a fan heater in the bathroom.
One significant part of the reason in that case was I had them
laying around unused, because their possible uses are rather
limited.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

I used them in another house on each of two separate circuits,
boiler in the bathroom, and a fan heater in the bathroom.
One significant part of the reason in that case was I had them
laying around unused, because their possible uses are rather
limited.

I believe they are mainly intended for use in laboratory circuits or
possibly farm circuits.

Dave