Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kitchen worktop covering

i have a rather tired looking kitchen worktop in the house i have
recently moved into, and cannot currently afford the new kitchen i
need. is there a product out there which i could use to resurface the
worktops? i think i have seen this kind of thing avialable as a roll
but cannot find it anywhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:29:58 -0700, mpt1978
mused:

i have a rather tired looking kitchen worktop in the house i have
recently moved into, and cannot currently afford the new kitchen i
need. is there a product out there which i could use to resurface the
worktops? i think i have seen this kind of thing avialable as a roll
but cannot find it anywhere?

Wouldn't bother, I'd leave it and save up for a new kitchen or just
replace the worktops.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
mpt1978 writes
i have a rather tired looking kitchen worktop in the house i have
recently moved into, and cannot currently afford the new kitchen i
need. is there a product out there which i could use to resurface the
worktops? i think i have seen this kind of thing avialable as a roll
but cannot find it anywhere?

Can't think anything on a roll that would stand up to any use in a
kitchen.

If it's square edged I guess you could stick Formica down to it. But I
doubt that it's any cheaper or easier than replacing the worktop.

I replaced the worktop in our old kitchen, with cheapish laminate
worktop as the old one was dire. Not brilliant worktop but lasted the
five years or so until well enough we would have replaced the kitchen if
we hadn't then moved. It wasn't that expensive.

Repainted the doors and handles as well and it looked much better. Lots
of people thought we have replaced the kitchen.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 24, 8:29 pm, mpt1978 wrote:
i have a rather tired looking kitchen worktop in the house i have
recently moved into, and cannot currently afford the new kitchen i
need. is there a product out there which i could use to resurface the
worktops? i think i have seen this kind of thing avialable as a roll
but cannot find it anywhere?

There was/is some sort of coating designed to adhere to Formica/
Arborite surfaces. IIRC it was applied with a roller? My daughter used
it many years ago; but I don't know how well it lasted under normal
kitchen usage and she has since moved. If I get more info will post
here. Terry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:29:58 -0700, mpt1978 wrote:

i have a rather tired looking kitchen worktop in the house i have recently
moved into, and cannot currently afford the new kitchen i need. is there a
product out there which i could use to resurface the worktops? i think i
have seen this kind of thing avialable as a roll but cannot find it
anywhere?

==================================
You might be thinking of 'Fablon' which is a self-adhesive fabric
covering. It's usually available from decorating shops as it's used like
wallpaper. I doubt if it would last very long on a worktop.

You might consider a cheap tiling job but you'd have to modify the rounded
outer edge which shouldn't be too difficult for a short run.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
You might be thinking of 'Fablon' which is a self-adhesive fabric
covering. It's usually available from decorating shops as it's used like
wallpaper. I doubt if it would last very long on a worktop.

Fablon do an extra-heavy-duty plastic one, designed for use on kitchen
units. It's not suggested for the counters, but might hold up (with
light use) for a short time, while you save up for proper countertops.
I've seen it in B&Q.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:00:23 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

Cicero wrote:
You might be thinking of 'Fablon' which is a self-adhesive fabric
covering. It's usually available from decorating shops as it's used like
wallpaper. I doubt if it would last very long on a worktop.

Fablon do an extra-heavy-duty plastic one, designed for use on kitchen
units. It's not suggested for the counters, but might hold up (with
light use) for a short time, while you save up for proper countertops.
I've seen it in B&Q.

Fablon lasts fine on a kitchen worktop. Mine has been covering
chipboard for two years now. The pretty pattern has worn away a bit
but it still provides a hygenic washable surface. The new and beautful
'proper' worktop will happen any year now ...

Anna

--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:26:12 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Fablon lasts fine on a kitchen worktop. Mine has been covering
chipboard for two years now. The pretty pattern has worn away a bit
but it still provides a hygenic washable surface. The new and beautful
'proper' worktop will happen any year now ...

Anna

Valerie Singleton would be very proud, Anna :-)

Yes I cant understand where my Blue Peter badge has got to ... must
have been held up in the postal strike :-)

Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Covering worktop with Fablon Rachel UK diy 55 January 22nd 15 08:00 PM
Kitchen Worktop Martin UK diy 7 April 14th 06 12:44 PM
Re-covering kitchen worktops S. Endon-Lee UK diy 27 April 16th 04 12:17 PM
Cheap kitchen floor covering Christian McArdle UK diy 13 August 19th 03 07:50 PM
Covering kitchen doors zaax UK diy 1 July 19th 03 02:51 AM