Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what sanitary silicone sealant to use in a bathroom

hello everyone

I am looking for recommendations on what sanitary sealant to use to seal
around a plastic bath and also a tiled corner formed by a brick wall and
and a dry wall. this area will be used for the shower.

I looked at the screwfix catalogue and found:

1. dow corning sanitary seal (not sure how well it prevents mould growth)
2. dow corning 786 (again, not sure about mould and modulus unknown)
3. dow corning 785 (high modulus)
4. uni-bond anti-mould (ice white?)
5. evo-stik sanitary (water-based!?)
6. some other unknown brands from the same catalogue

I'd be grateful for any recommendations and experience shared. I don't
care much how expensive it is, as long as it lasts and doesn't turn dark
or cream. the bath is quite expensive and I don't want to ruin it by
re-sealing it every few months. AFAIU, for the bath I need low modulus
(high movement) and for the wall it shouldn't matter much.

also, I tiled from the bath upwards and the walls are covered with
moisture-resistant plasterboard. I was planning to put a bead of sealant
between the bath's side and the plasterboard wall, and also fill the
cavity formed by the bath, tiles and the wall. how do I make the
silicone stick to plasterboard? paint/prime it first? how?

thanks very much in advance.

/max
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"maxim naumov" wrote:
[...]

My experience with acrylic baths is that if there is flexing between the
bath rim and the wall surface then whatever type of sealant you use will
fail eventually due to the movement caused each time the bath is used.
However, if your bath has been mounted on a wooden supporting frame,
especially under the rims against the wall(s), so that flexing is minimal or
even absent, then a high movement silicone sealant might last. An
alternative is to use a Teleseal; http://www.teleseal.co.uk/ . Mould growth
can be inhibited; I assume that's what they mean when they claim it can be
prevented!

Regarding your last paragraph, which I don't fully understand, if this is
out of sight then you could use a clear silicone sanitary sealant - it will
stick to anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

maxim naumov wrote:

For some background and application tips have a look at:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...licone_Sealant

I looked at the screwfix catalogue and found:

1. dow corning sanitary seal (not sure how well it prevents mould growth)

That's what the sanitary bit is all about.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations and experience shared. I don't
care much how expensive it is, as long as it lasts and doesn't turn dark
or cream. the bath is quite expensive and I don't want to ruin it by
re-sealing it every few months. AFAIU, for the bath I need low modulus
(high movement) and for the wall it shouldn't matter much.

As long as you don't expect the bead to accommodate movement of more
than about 10% of its size it ought to be fine. Leaving enough gap
between tiles and bath to get a good key helps as well.

also, I tiled from the bath upwards and the walls are covered with
moisture-resistant plasterboard. I was planning to put a bead of sealant
between the bath's side and the plasterboard wall, and also fill the
cavity formed by the bath, tiles and the wall. how do I make the
silicone stick to plasterboard? paint/prime it first? how?

It will stick anyway, you could give it a coat of 1:1 PVA and water and
then let that go off to give the plasterboard a moisture seal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Sanitary silicone sealant versus General purpose ironer UK diy 1 November 29th 06 03:56 PM
Too much choice - sanitary silicone Mac UK diy 4 March 1st 06 06:02 PM
silicone sealant for bathroom? al UK diy 1 January 23rd 06 09:31 AM
Silicone Sealant Alex Bird UK diy 15 March 16th 04 01:10 PM
Black sanitary silicone sealant? Mathew J. Newton UK diy 13 February 19th 04 07:20 PM