Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default levelling a solid floor covered in vinyl tiles?

Hi
I need to level an existing concrete floor which is covered with vinyl
tiles. The floor slopes and undulates which means that the thickness
of the leveller will need to vary from almost nothing to about ¾ of an
inch in places.

First question is should try and level on top of the vinyl tiles or
remove them? They seem well stuck down and even if I made the effort
to chip them off, the adhesive underneath is impossible to get off
(and I'm not even sure if this would provide a better surface to try
and get the leveller to bond to?)

Secondly, what to use? Self levellers only seem to be suitable up to
about 5 mm and normal cement screeds seem to be recommended to be laid
at least a couple of inches thick so I'm caught between the two.

I intend to lay some sort of wood / laminate on the floor in question.
Perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree all together and some sort of
underlay or matting would be a simpler solution?

Tips from anybody who has come across a similar problem would be much
appreciated.

Thanks