Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Television Headset Connecting

Hi all,
I could not find a direct group so hoped someone could point me to
one,
or hopefully be able to suggest something.

I live in a block of flats, that has such a noise problem that I use
headphones nearly all the time to be able to
listen to my TV and not other peoples.

I currently have a Samsung LCD TV set, with a 20" screen.
I have sent it back to Samsung once to have the headphone lead connector
repaired because it fail,
But it is now faulty again, and I cannot get any sound at all with the
headphone disconnected and have to keep twisting it with them connected.

I have asked in our local TV supply shops, if there are any TV sets with a
more robust heavy duty headphone connector for continual use, but have not
had any success.
Would anyone know if such a set is made, I am happy to have any make of TV.
Thanks for reading,
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mick Cant" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Why not get wireless headphones? I've seen them in the past but can't
remember where (maybe CPC or Maplins) and I'm not even sure if they are
radio or infra-red, but the point is, the transmitter side of it can be left
plugged into the telly all the time - no more in/out, in/out - and you can
even move around freely without being corded to the telly all the time.
Google wireless headphones and you should find a solution.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:55:12 UTC, "Bill" wrote:

Why not get wireless headphones? I've seen them in the past but can't
remember where (maybe CPC or Maplins) and I'm not even sure if they are
radio or infra-red, but the point is, the transmitter side of it can be left
plugged into the telly all the time - no more in/out, in/out - and you can
even move around freely without being corded to the telly all the time.
Google wireless headphones and you should find a solution.

Doesn't really help, I'd have thought. It's not entirely clear whether
the failures are due to mechanical strain, in which case an anchor for
the cable, before the plug, and a longer cable, would help.

If it's the repeated plugging/unplugging, this is presumably because the
headphones are not always in use. I was going to suggest a short 'stub'
of cable with a plug and sacrificial socket, but there is one big
problem with that, as with your suggestion...leaving something plugged
in usually mutes the main TV speaker.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick Cant wrote:

I live in a block of flats, that has such a noise problem that I use
headphones nearly all the time to be able to
listen to my TV and not other peoples.

On solution would be to move!

I currently have a Samsung LCD TV set, with a 20" screen.
I have sent it back to Samsung once to have the headphone lead connector
repaired because it fail,
But it is now faulty again, and I cannot get any sound at all with the
headphone disconnected and have to keep twisting it with them connected.

It sounds like the socket is knackered. Not only does it make connection
to the plug, but will typically incorporate a switch that is designed to
signal the TV to turn off the main speaker.

This should not be too difficult to have repaired - certainly within the
realms of DIY if you can wield a soldering iron.

I have asked in our local TV supply shops, if there are any TV sets with a
more robust heavy duty headphone connector for continual use, but have not
had any success.

If you always use headphones then why not leave them connected? Or go
for one of the wireless options. Using a headphone extension lead would
allow you to disconnect the 'phones without putting strain on the TV's
socket.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mick Cant" wrote in message
[...]

You could try using subtitles. We don't have the TV loud enough for me to
be able to hear it clearly all the time so I find that subtitles,
lip-reading and what I can hear make a very complete viewing experience.
The subtitles on freeview are generally pretty good, although some "cheaper"
stations (like ITV4) don't always have subtitles on the programs (and live
subtitling is a right pain in the arse). It was irritating having the
subtitles at first but it's bloody marvellous now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jul 2007 16:14:22 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

I'm sure that I've seen wireless headphones where the transmitter connects
to the TV's line-out or scart connector, leaving the speaker(s) under
normal independent volume control.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:47:13 +0100, "Mick Cant"
mused:

[...]

Depending on what model of TV you have you could use the line out
phono sockets on the back instead. I've just fitted a Samsung 23" LCD
and it has these connectors and also an option in the menu to mute the
internal speakers only.
--
Regards,
Stuart.