Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Restoring wooden ceiling

I have a wooden ceiling that was badly stripped,
using a heat stripper.
This left burn or heat marks on the wood,
which was then varnished (with polyurethane I guess)
in the hope that this would hide the marks.

I saw a 400 watt (or so) random orbital sander in Lidl today
for 20euro.
I'm wondering if that would be a sensible tool
to "clean" the ceiling?
Or would a Skarsten scraper be more appropriate?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have a wooden ceiling that was badly stripped,
using a heat stripper.
This left burn or heat marks on the wood,
which was then varnished (with polyurethane I guess)
in the hope that this would hide the marks.

I saw a 400 watt (or so) random orbital sander in Lidl today
for 20euro.
I'm wondering if that would be a sensible tool
to "clean" the ceiling?
Or would a Skarsten scraper be more appropriate?

If its exposed beams, don't **** around.
Clear the room. Tape up the doors and get the grit blasters in.

The sand the beams if you don't like the whittle effect, and start again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have a wooden ceiling that was badly stripped,
using a heat stripper.
This left burn or heat marks on the wood,
which was then varnished (with polyurethane I guess)
in the hope that this would hide the marks.

I saw a 400 watt (or so) random orbital sander in Lidl today
for 20euro.
I'm wondering if that would be a sensible tool
to "clean" the ceiling?
Or would a Skarsten scraper be more appropriate?

If its exposed beams, don't **** around.
Clear the room. Tape up the doors and get the grit blasters in.

I'm not sure if that's appropriate.
It isn't a medieval house.
It's a fairly standard pitch-pine ceiling in a Victorian (1860) building.

Most of the other ceilings were stripped with Nitromors,
and they look beautiful.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have a wooden ceiling that was badly stripped,
using a heat stripper.
This left burn or heat marks on the wood,
which was then varnished (with polyurethane I guess)
in the hope that this would hide the marks.

I saw a 400 watt (or so) random orbital sander in Lidl today
for 20euro.
I'm wondering if that would be a sensible tool
to "clean" the ceiling?
Or would a Skarsten scraper be more appropriate?

If its exposed beams, don't **** around.
Clear the room. Tape up the doors and get the grit blasters in.

I'm not sure if that's appropriate.
It isn't a medieval house.
It's a fairly standard pitch-pine ceiling in a Victorian (1860) building.

Most of the other ceilings were stripped with Nitromors,
and they look beautiful.

Are there many burn marks? It may be a case of stripping the varnish off,
spot sanding the burn marks. Then lightly sand the whole ceiling so the
spot sanding doesn't stand out.

You'll lose any patina that's developed over the years though.

Your scraper idea might work too - but I think you'd still be best off
stripping the varnish off first. Testing various approaches in an
inconspicuous corner would be advisable.

Tim