Posted to uk.d-i-y
DrC DrC is offline

Default £77 for non-existent earth bonding?

Hi

I would really appreciate some help with this:

We (foolishly in retrospect) paid a major DIY retailer to supply and
fit our bathroom. I say foolishly because having been promised
(twice) it would be done in 5 days, the reason why we were happy to
pay them, it has actually taken 6 weeks, so far, so we may as well
have done most of it ourselves and saved a shed load of cash.

Anyway, getting to the point, we have, apparently, according to the
invoice, paid £77 for "Supplementary Earth Bonding", now, the only
electrical work we have had done is the installation of an elecrtric
shower. Looking at the wiring, starting downstairs, I see an earth
wire from the meter going to the shower RCD, I then see a wire going
up, through the ceiling, into the bathroom, it then goes under our
bath and into the wall, up the wall and into the shower, that's it.

All additional plumbing is plastic (except the taps), the bath is
plastic, the only metal is our original copper water pipes and there
appears to be no new additional connection to these.

Now I know that earth bonding does *not* mean earthing everything in
sight but does anyone have any idea what we have paid £77 for? I
suspect absolutely nothing!

Again, many thanks for any help.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 01:54:10 -0700, DrC
mused:

[...]

I'd imagine so, I'd dispute it. I hear many tales of woe about B&Q.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message

I'd imagine so, I'd dispute it. I hear many tales of woe about B&Q.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

where does it say B & Q ?

--
regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:15:03 GMT, "Urban Legend"
mused:

"Lurch" wrote in message

I'd imagine so, I'd dispute it. I hear many tales of woe about B&Q.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

where does it say B & Q ?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DrC wrote:

Now I know that earth bonding does *not* mean earthing everything in
sight but does anyone have any idea what we have paid £77 for? I
suspect absolutely nothing!

As others have said it sounds like it, but nevertheless if there is
metal pipework within 3 m (horizontally) of the bath and/or shower tray
there should be local supplementary bonding between the earth terminal
of the shower unit and such pipework.

There should also be local supplementary bonding between the shower
earth and the earths of any other electrical circuits in the room
feeding equipment which is "within the zones". Usually this just means
you need a bond to the earth of the lighting circuit, since any fan and
shaver point will usually also be on the lighting circuit. However if
there is a wall mounted electric heater or towel rail in the zones, fed
from a ring circuit, that will also need its earth bonded to the shower
earth.

The zoned regions end horizontally at 3 m away from the nearest edge of
the bath and/or shower tray. Zones 1 and 2 end vertically at 3 m above
floor level; these cover the space above and within 600 mm sideways of
the bath and/or shower. Between 0.6 and 3 m of the bath/shower you're
in Zone 3 which stops 2.25 m above the floor.

HTH
--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message

I'd imagine so, I'd dispute it. I hear many tales of woe about B&Q.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

where does it say B & Q ?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

I would agree. When we were looking at options for the bathroom they told
me that there would be 2 charges for this item, one for the electric shower
and one for the sink. Bit odd that, as we weren't having a shower....so it
show's how good they are!

Cheers
dan.

Cross-bonding/earth bonding gas meter Jim UK diy 1 July 28th 06 09:19 PM
Earth Bonding alexbartman UK diy 11 January 22nd 05 12:27 PM
VCR JVC HR-A33U loads non-existent tape and re-loads existent Viatcheslav Riabov Electronics Repair 3 October 1st 04 11:07 AM
earth bonding bill UK diy 5 July 25th 04 11:12 PM
Earth bonding... SteveS UK diy 19 July 25th 04 10:02 AM