Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spec or plans for stable doors?

A friend has asked me to make a pair of stable doors approximately 2.4M high
by 1.5M wide each (one full height and the other side half/half height) .
I've made a few shed doors before but I'd like to make sure this one is
constructed of the proper sized materials. My initial plans are to use
redwood framing 120mm x 30mm then clad them using 15mm (finished thickness)
shiplap or T&G - what do you think - would that be strong enough?

Or can anybody point me to a site dealing with this sort of thing - perhaps
a set of plans or guidelines.

Thanks,
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What kind of construction style are you thinking of? Fully framed or
ledged & braced? Fully framed and braced would be a good choice for a
wider door. 120*30mm sounds (just) adequate for the stiles, the rails
should be more like double that width e.g 225*30mm. For preference on
a tall and wide door, if costs allow, go up to 175*50mm for stiles and
braces and whatever wide board is available for the rails. Is the
building construction/frame up to carrying heavier doors?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Jul, 13:53, "Ex-tiscali" wrote:
A friend has asked me to make a pair of stable doors approximately 2.4M high
by 1.5M wide each (one full height and the other side half/half height) .
I've made a few shed doors before but I'd like to make sure this one is
constructed of the proper sized materials. My initial plans are to use
redwood framing 120mm x 30mm then clad them using 15mm (finished thickness)
shiplap or T&G - what do you think - would that be strong enough?

Or can anybody point me to a site dealing with this sort of thing - perhaps
a set of plans or guidelines.

Thanks,
Neil

I'd use 20mm for the panel and make sure the top edge has a metal wrap
over protective anti-chew cover. Horses can be accidentally
devastating to doors

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JD JD is offline

cynic wrote:
On 15 Jul, 13:53, "Ex-tiscali" wrote:
A friend has asked me to make a pair of stable doors approximately 2.4M high
by 1.5M wide each (one full height and the other side half/half height) .
I've made a few shed doors before but I'd like to make sure this one is
constructed of the proper sized materials. My initial plans are to use
redwood framing 120mm x 30mm then clad them using 15mm (finished thickness)
shiplap or T&G - what do you think - would that be strong enough?

Or can anybody point me to a site dealing with this sort of thing - perhaps
a set of plans or guidelines.

Thanks,
Neil

I'd use 20mm for the panel and make sure the top edge has a metal wrap
over protective anti-chew cover. Horses can be accidentally
devastating to doors

You want a finished thickness of 45mm I guess as that's a standard
external door and I would fully frame. What material are you thinking of
redwood has a tendency to warp at that size and personally I would
recommended hhemlock (just check its nor poisonous to horses!) also if
your going for a half and half opening as per a traditional stable dont
forget to extend the door height to take account of the rebate.

JD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 9:57 pm, JD wrote:
cynic wrote:
[...]

recommended hemlock (just check its nor poisonous to horses!) also if
your going for a half and half opening as per a traditional stable dont
forget to extend the door height to take account of the rebate.

They are going to be wider than they are high. I'd make the frames
full width and put the match-board on the half tenoned rails.

If you make them up as one door and cut the sides through after
fitting. It might save some effort getting them parallel. Be bloody
heavy though. I suppose you could always put the match-board and cross
braces on afterwards. (But before you make the cut.)
Doesn't seem to be a problem here though:
http://www.longcrossstables.co.uk/stabledoors.html

I would have made the bottom rails a lot wider but I'm not in the
business. Try cross posting to a home building site and a woodwork
site.

Stable-style back doors...? Andy Hall UK diy 9 June 21st 07 12:40 PM
Will you depart behind the stable, if Wayne partly lives the candle? Upscale Woodworking 0 May 15th 06 08:42 PM
Stable Plans The Novice UK diy 2 May 30th 05 06:53 PM
Hard, stable, not too expensive wood? David Ford Woodworking 9 April 11th 05 04:15 AM