Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default yet another combi planning question

it may have course been dealt with before .....

I am looking to install central heating in a 5 bed semi - the kitchen
is very small and there is no external wall space to hang a combi -=
in fact there is very little space at all!

There are a couple of good reasons to put the combi in upstairs
bedroom - including easy access to outsdie wall and it would minimise
runs of pipe to showrr room, bathroom and kitchen

main question is how noisy are they ? this will be the main bedroom
are some less noisy than others ?

I assume 22 mm gas pipe (easiest run will be 35 feet from meter) most
of the way

I was thinking of two zones upstairs and down each fed by 22 mm pipe
6 rooms upstairs and 3 downstairs but more heat needed in downstairs
living areas of course Separate thermostats on each zone or do I just
rely on TRVs

any other comments ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
it may have course been dealt with before .....

I am looking to install central heating in a 5 bed semi - the kitchen
is very small and there is no external wall space to hang a combi -=
in fact there is very little space at all!

There are a couple of good reasons to put the combi in upstairs
bedroom - including easy access to outsdie wall and it would minimise
runs of pipe to showrr room, bathroom and kitchen

How about the loft? How about outside in a metal cupboard with frost stat
inside?

Eldon http://www.eldon.com/uk do external electrical cabinets which can
easily take a boiler. They are not insulated AFAIK, but worth asking them.
The holes will have to be cut out by the installer. I recall one fitted, but
foam insulation was cut and fitted inside the cabinet and its doors by the
fitter; a simple job. If I recall correctly one of these cabinets will be
around £300. Best to check with Eldon. This will add £300 and about 1.5
hours work to fit inc insulation. £300 may be cheap if the space is really
needed, installation is difficult or if a kitchen or parts of the house has
to be ripped apart to fit a boiler.

Most boilers do have integral frost protection, but check. Most don't need
ventilation so no air vents needed. Make sure the flue is fitted correctly
and not too close to the wall. Most makers will allow a horizontal exit flue
to be 25 -100mm from a wall, but check with makers. This means that the
flue will come out of the side of the cabinet. The best position to prevent
water ingress.

main question is how noisy are they ? this will be the main bedroom
are some less noisy than others ?

Most are too noisy for a bedroom. The more expensive tend to be quieter.

I assume 22 mm gas pipe (easiest run will be 35 feet from meter) most
of the way

Should be OK. Check the gas pipe size from the CDA web site.

I was thinking of two zones upstairs and down each fed by 22 mm pipe
6 rooms upstairs and 3 downstairs but more heat needed in downstairs
living areas of course Separate thermostats on each zone or do I just
rely on TRVs

zone stats are the best bet with a combi which is basically a system boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:17:49 +0100 someone who may be The Natural
Philosopher wrote this:-

If it has 5 bedrooms its likely to have at least two bathrooms, and the
cost and size effectiveness of a combi *at all* is called into question.

Indeed. A boiler connected to a thermal store is probably the best
option these days, with a solar panel providing heat to the store as
well.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:17:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Agreed, as a starting point. but the (informed) customer is always right,
if they aren't then it's probably time to let deal with someone else. 8-)

Noise levels depend on the make, model and power out put.

Some are nearly silent when on medium power.

Gas supply looks like it might need a section of 28mm to comply if going
for a combi but should be OK if you are going for a non combi. What is the
spaced heating requirement?

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk

Combi boiler question Jethro UK diy 19 April 21st 07 10:38 PM
Combi question sponix UK diy 14 February 27th 06 12:41 PM
Combi question raden UK diy 0 February 25th 06 10:31 PM
Combi question. Paul UK diy 100 August 12th 05 11:05 AM
Combi Question [email protected] UK diy 6 December 11th 04 09:34 AM