Posted to uk.d-i-y
sponix

Default Combi question

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:04:14 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Another (academic) question: Is it illegal to modify the controller
electronics in a boiler?

Not in itself.

So in theory it'd be possible to 'chip' a boiler to boost performance?

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Another Nick wrote:

My Sime combi has an annoying habit: If CH is off and I run some hot water
- when I stop the DHW the boiler switches its diverter valve back to the
CH circuit, but then continues to run the pump for another 30 sec or so. I
presume this is to prevent temperature over-run.

What it does mean is that if I stop/start the hot water, the water
temperature goes from hot (water in pipe) to cold then back to hot again
as the boiler regains temperature. It's a PITA when topping up a bath or
using the shower. Do other combis do this?

In a word, nope...! (Sounds like this is the designed behaviour for
yours, but it is certainly not standarad behaviour for all of them).

Another (academic) question: Is it illegal to modify the controller
electronics in a boiler?

Not in itself.

The only legal requirement if you are going to make alterations to gas
appliances is that you be competant to do so.

(although there is no legal definition of what competant means in this
situation!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , sponix
writes
wrote:

Another (academic) question: Is it illegal to modify the controller
electronics in a boiler?

Not in itself.

So in theory it'd be possible to 'chip' a boiler to boost performance?

Not really much you could "Chip" on an older boiler

Difficult to know what you'd bugger up if you tried to "chip" (whatever
that means) a condensing boiler - with the danger of inhibiting
secondary functions

how do you reckon you could boost the performance of a boiler which is
probably working close to its performance limit

At the end of the day, what you're doing is opening gas valves to burn
gas to give the desired temperature, setting fire to the pcb only gives
a temporary improvement to the performance

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Another
Nick writes

wrote:

Another (academic) question: Is it illegal to modify the controller
electronics in a boiler?

Not in itself.

So in theory it'd be possible to 'chip' a boiler to boost performance?

You're not too far from the mark. my boiler controller contains fairly
rudimentary electronics - for a few quid in parts a simple microcontroller
chip can add a bit more "intelligence" to the design.

You would need top put some thought into making it inherently safe

E.g. NOT running the
pump for so long when the CH is cold,

Which doesn't really happen very often

modulating flow based on incoming
water temp.

But what you want is to modulate to give a required output temperture
dependent on flow

dispalying flow/return/DHW temps etc.

If you happen to be such a geek, maybe

How often, in reality, are you going to be interested in this ?

etc.

Of course it'd take some time reverse engineering the existing boiler,
then building/programming a replacement. Time I don't have (too many other
jobs!) hence it's just an idle thought at the mo...

This came up a few months ago, didn't it.

My question is whether it's worth the effort

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:06:05 +0000 (UTC), Another Nick
wrote:

Worth the effort? Of course not! TBH, as this boiler is 13yrs old now
and things are starting to fail I intend to replace it with a more
efficient unit in the summer.

There are certainly some around with all of the bells and whistles
that you mention.

I have one of these and it does all that you mention and a lot more
besides/

http://www.mhg.de/en/products/gas_un...cromat_ec.html

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Worth the effort? Of course not! TBH, as this boiler is 13yrs old now
and things are starting to fail I intend to replace it with a more
efficient unit in the summer.

There are certainly some around with all of the bells and whistles
that you mention.

I have one of these and it does all that you mention and a lot more
besides/

http://www.mhg.de/en/products/gas_un...cromat_ec.html

I've got one of these

http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/w...junior_rsf.htm

it was given to me, it cost me nothing except the days work to rip out
the old vaillant and install it

It heats the CH and gives enough flow rate to fill a bath or for a
shower

I am quite happy to let it get on with what it does without ****ing
about with things which may or may not make a marginal difference in
performance

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , sponix
writes
wrote:

Another (academic) question: Is it illegal to modify the controller
electronics in a boiler?

Not in itself.

So in theory it'd be possible to 'chip' a boiler to boost performance?

Not really much you could "Chip" on an older boiler

Difficult to know what you'd bugger up if you tried to "chip" (whatever
that means) a condensing boiler - with the danger of inhibiting secondary
functions

Maxie, some boilers have fixed rate premix burners. These burners are also
use on modulating burner boilers. Adding a thermistor or two and changing
the pcb surely would covert the boiler to a modulating boiler. Do you know
of any that could be easily uprated? Not that I would do such a thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Worth the effort? Of course not! TBH, as this boiler is 13yrs old now
and things are starting to fail I intend to replace it with a more
efficient unit in the summer.

There are certainly some around with all of the bells and whistles
that you mention.

I have one of these and it does all that you mention and a lot more
besides/

http://www.mhg.de/en/products/gas_un...cromat_ec.html

I've got one of these

http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/w...junior_rsf.htm

it was given to me, it cost me nothing except the days work to rip out the
old vaillant and install it

It heats the CH and gives enough flow rate to fill a bath or for a shower

Most of the Lunatic Association here would say it can't fill a bath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Worth the effort? Of course not! TBH, as this boiler is 13yrs old now
and things are starting to fail I intend to replace it with a more
efficient unit in the summer.

There are certainly some around with all of the bells and whistles
that you mention.

I have one of these and it does all that you mention and a lot more
besides/

http://www.mhg.de/en/products/gas_un...cromat_ec.html

I've got one of these

http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/w...junior_rsf.htm

That is fabulous Maxie. When are you going to put another one in?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 01:16:02 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Worth the effort? Of course not! TBH, as this boiler is 13yrs old now
and things are starting to fail I intend to replace it with a more
efficient unit in the summer.

There are certainly some around with all of the bells and whistles
that you mention.

I have one of these and it does all that you mention and a lot more
besides/

http://www.mhg.de/en/products/gas_un...cromat_ec.html

I've got one of these

http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/w...junior_rsf.htm

That is fabulous Maxie. When are you going to put another one in?

Well that was predictable, wasn't it?

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:14:25 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

I've got one of these

http://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/w...junior_rsf.htm

it was given to me, it cost me nothing except the days work to rip out the
old vaillant and install it

It heats the CH and gives enough flow rate to fill a bath or for a shower

Most of the Lunatic Association here would say it can't fill a bath.

Oh it can, just that hell might freeze over first.

A recent report showed that 98.3% of flooding incidents involving an
overflowing bath happened in properties equipped with combi boilers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Matt wrote:
A recent report showed that 98.3% of flooding incidents involving an
overflowing bath happened in properties equipped with combi boilers.

And the other 1.7% involving a hacksaw?

--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:13:49 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Matt wrote:
A recent report showed that 98.3% of flooding incidents involving an
overflowing bath happened in properties equipped with combi boilers.

And the other 1.7% involving a hacksaw?

It's amazing that one person could cause that much trouble.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 10:13:49 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
through a haze of senile flatulence wrote:

In article ,
Matt aka Lord Hall wrote:

A recent report showed that 98.3% of flooding incidents involving an
overflowing bath happened in properties equipped with combi boilers.

And the other 1.7% involving a hacksaw?

It's amazing that one person could cause that much trouble.

Matt, is there a man in the factory cutting holes in all these combis?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:49:37 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

. ..

Matt aka Lord Hall wrote:

A recent report showed that 98.3% of flooding incidents involving an
overflowing bath happened in properties equipped with combi boilers.

And the other 1.7% involving a hacksaw?

It's amazing that one person could cause that much trouble.

Matt, is there a man in the factory cutting holes in all these combis?

Dunno. Do you do it in your branch at lunchtimes?

Matt, you seem to know a lot about these holes.

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Repair 6 March 26th 04 01:23 AM
Combi Boilers Marv UK diy 5 November 2nd 03 11:34 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM