Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor covering advice: old concrete adjacent to new

I have a kitchen dinner area which has a new concrete floor area,
complete with insulation and damp proof membrane, and an adjacent area
of old concrete floor. The old floor had some vinyl tiles which were
damp on their underside when lifted.

I would like to install hard wood flooring over both areas.
Is there a hardwood floor glue I can use that also has damp proofing
properties or do I need to paint on a damp proofer and then the glue?
How to I find out about compatibilities of the two products?
Would tiling be easier i.e. is their tile adhesive available which
contains a damp proofer?

Thank you

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"nafuk" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a kitchen dinner area which has a new concrete floor area,
complete with insulation and damp proof membrane, and an adjacent area
of old concrete floor. The old floor had some vinyl tiles which were
damp on their underside when lifted.

I would like to install hard wood flooring over both areas.
Is there a hardwood floor glue I can use that also has damp proofing
properties or do I need to paint on a damp proofer and then the glue?
How to I find out about compatibilities of the two products?
Would tiling be easier i.e. is their tile adhesive available which
contains a damp proofer?

Thank you

Just out of curiosity do you know that the damp is rising through the
concrete or was it just surface water in the kitchen getting under the
tiles?

Hardwood floors are not normally glued to the existing floor in any case so
you could put down a damp proof underlay

Do you mean a real hardwood floor or a wood effect laminate floor as
laminate is not the best option for kitchens where water is spilled

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jul, 13:58, "TMC" wrote:
"nafuk" wrote in message

ps.com...I have a kitchen dinner area which has a new concrete floor area,
[...]

Hi, it was not surface water and there is not dpm.
I want to install a hard wood floor, not laminate. Some hardwood
floors are glued to concrete. The manufacturers of the floors sell the
glue.
Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"nafuk" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 10 Jul, 13:58, "TMC" wrote:
"nafuk" wrote in message

[...]

As I said 'not normally'

Clearly for the traditional parquet wood block floor glueing is essential,
however for modern engineered hardwood flooring it is normal to use a
floating floor method of installation.

I can think on no compelling reason to glue down such a floor and have seen
them installed as floating in such heavy use places as school gymnasia

Under a floating floor you will be able to lay damp proof membrane and sound
insulation prior to fitting the floor

This link may help
http://www.woodlinefloors.co.uk/wood...ation-help.htm

Tony