Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Steamer keeps switching off

My old Goblin Steamatic keeps switching off while heating up. The red
light which indicates a low water level comes on even though there is
plenty of water in it. Has anyone any idea what might be causing this ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna wrote:
My old Goblin Steamatic keeps switching off while heating up. The red
light which indicates a low water level comes on even though there is
plenty of water in it. Has anyone any idea what might be causing this
?

I'd guess at the low water indicator being faulty!

Scaled up?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Jul, 19:11, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
Anna wrote:
My old Goblin Steamatic keeps switching off while heating up. The red
light which indicates a low water level comes on even though there is
plenty of water in it. Has anyone any idea what might be causing this
?

I'd guess at the low water indicator being faulty!

Scaled up?

Si

It doesn't seem to have much scale in it. I boiled up some vinegar in
it last time I used it to descale it. Is the low water indicator
something that can be changed or is it past repair?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ps.com...
wrote:
Anna wrote:
My old Goblin Steamatic keeps switching off while heating up. The red
light which indicates a low water level comes on even though there is
plenty of water in it. Has anyone any idea what might be causing this
?

I'd guess at the low water indicator being faulty!

Scaled up?

Si

It doesn't seem to have much scale in it. I boiled up some vinegar in
it last time I used it to descale it. Is the low water indicator
something that can be changed or is it past repair?

Steamers are so cheap these days that I'd (against my prinicples) dump the
old one and buy another.

Or you could revert to the old fashioned method of steaming over a pan of
water. That's very efficient.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ps.com...

wrote:
Anna wrote:
My old Goblin Steamatic keeps switching off while heating up. The red
light which indicates a low water level comes on even though there is
plenty of water in it. Has anyone any idea what might be causing this
?

I'd guess at the low water indicator being faulty!

Scaled up?

Si

It doesn't seem to have much scale in it. I boiled up some vinegar in
it last time I used it to descale it. Is the low water indicator
something that can be changed or is it past repair?

Steamers are so cheap these days that I'd (against my prinicples) dump the
old one and buy another.

Or you could revert to the old fashioned method of steaming over a pan of
water. That's very efficient.

Mary

In case I didn't make myself clear this is a steamer for cleaning
carpets or removing wallpaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:54:06 -0700, Anna
wrote:

It doesn't seem to have much scale in it. I boiled up some vinegar in
it last time I used it to descale it. Is the low water indicator
something that can be changed or is it past repair?

Vinegar isn't a terribly effective descaler. Try a pint of water
with about 2-4oz of Citric acid dissolved in it (Citric acid from
your local Indian Food shop at about a tenth the price of Boots)
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It doesn't seem to have much scale in it. I boiled up some vinegar in
it last time I used it to descale it. Is the low water indicator
something that can be changed or is it past repair?

Vinegar isn't a terribly effective descaler. Try a pint of water
with about 2-4oz of Citric acid dissolved in it (Citric acid from
your local Indian Food shop at about a tenth the price of Boots)
--
Peter Parry. http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Thanks. I'll give it a try

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It doesn't seem to have much scale in it. I boiled up some vinegar in
it last time I used it to descale it. Is the low water indicator
something that can be changed or is it past repair?

Vinegar isn't a terribly effective descaler. Try a pint of water
with about 2-4oz of Citric acid dissolved in it (Citric acid from
your local Indian Food shop at about a tenth the price of Boots)
--
Peter Parry. http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Thanks. I'll give it a try

But try to look respectable (well, not like a drug dealer) when you ask
for it.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:31:49 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

Try a pint of water with about 2-4oz of Citric acid dissolved in it (Citric acid from
your local Indian Food shop at about a tenth the price of Boots)

Is the Indian citric acid really the same as Boots?

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 00:48:58 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:

Is the Indian citric acid really the same as Boots?

Both are the same 2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anna" wrote in message
oups.com...

In case I didn't make myself clear this is a steamer for cleaning
carpets or removing wallpaper.

Sorry - I only think in terms of food :-)

I can't help with anything to do with housework!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Jul, 10:00, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Anna" wrote in message

oups.com...

In case I didn't make myself clear this is a steamer for cleaning
carpets or removing wallpaper.

Sorry - I only think in terms of food :-)

I can't help with anything to do with housework!

Mary

Perhaps you know what citric acid is used for in cooking ?? If it
descales steamers it must be pretty potent. I have asked an Indian
riend and she has no idea!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna wrote:
On 9 Jul, 10:00, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Anna" wrote in message

oups.com...

In case I didn't make myself clear this is a steamer for cleaning
carpets or removing wallpaper.

Sorry - I only think in terms of food :-)

I can't help with anything to do with housework!

Mary

Perhaps you know what citric acid is used for in cooking ?? If it
descales steamers it must be pretty potent.

So does fruit juice

I have asked an Indian
riend and she has no idea!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:48:03 -0700, Anna
wrote:

Perhaps you know what citric acid is used for in cooking ?? If it
descales steamers it must be pretty potent.

It is basically lemon juice without the lemon flavour.

I have asked an Indian friend and she has no idea!

As a substitute for lemon juice in catering and in Indian Takeaway
cooking as a cheap alternative to Tamarind. Its also used to clean
drinking glasses.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Steamer / kettle (not) PC lead? The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 29 March 4th 21 02:01 PM
PADDLE STEAMER J T Woodworking 0 May 20th 07 10:43 PM
Wallpaper steamer suggestions please Broadback UK diy 11 November 3rd 05 11:27 PM
wallpaper removal with a Scunci Steamer? ari Home Ownership 0 April 11th 05 05:36 PM
scunci steamer Misty Newman Home Ownership 0 January 11th 05 08:58 PM