Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another question thanks

about the soil pipe running off the toilet.

I just had a phone call and couldn't give the bloke a definate answer to
this...

He's about to buy a 2 bedroom house and has plans to construct a 3rd bedroom
over the elongated kitchen should the deal go through,anyway he asked me is
it against regs to have the soil pipe running down the wall inside the
kitchen area even though its boxed in?the stack is as per normal outside the
toilet and upto the roof as this is how its situated now and wants to
contact the vendor over it.

I said it mightwell be as should the pipe burst in the boxed cavity it could
severly cause a nasty smell not to mention seeping through the cavity wall
or floor and that sure wouldnt be nice.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
about the soil pipe running off the toilet.

I just had a phone call and couldn't give the bloke a definate answer to
this...

He's about to buy a 2 bedroom house and has plans to construct a 3rd bedroom
over the elongated kitchen should the deal go through,anyway he asked me is
it against regs to have the soil pipe running down the wall inside the
kitchen area even though its boxed in?the stack is as per normal outside the
toilet and upto the roof as this is how its situated now and wants to
contact the vendor over it.

I said it mightwell be as should the pipe burst in the boxed cavity it could
severly cause a nasty smell not to mention seeping through the cavity wall
or floor and that sure wouldnt be nice.

I am fairly sure its legal.

Soil stacks seldom burst

Unless as I was once informed, its a 30 storey concrete and steel luxury
(until the **** pops out) hotel in the tropics, with no way to allow for
expansion..these days we have rubber joints for just such a reason. :-)

The rules around soil stacks apply to

-venting
-diameter
-fall
-rodding access

Provided these are met, siting is not under building control

All mine are internal, as it happens.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

he
asked me is it against regs to have the soil pipe running down the wall
inside the kitchen area even though its boxed in?

Don't know about the current regs but that's the way it was done in our
previous house. It was built in the late 1960's along with a few thousand
similar ones in the same town. Never had any problem with it.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jul, 16:23, "George" wrote:
about the soil pipe running off the toilet.

I just had a phone call and couldn't give the bloke a definate answer to
this...

He's about to buy a 2 bedroom house and has plans to construct a 3rd bedroom
over the elongated kitchen should the deal go through,anyway he asked me is
it against regs to have the soil pipe running down the wall inside the
kitchen area even though its boxed in?the stack is as per normal outside the
toilet and upto the roof as this is how its situated now and wants to
contact the vendor over it.

I said it mightwell be as should the pipe burst in the boxed cavity it could
severly cause a nasty smell not to mention seeping through the cavity wall
or floor and that sure wouldnt be nice.

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with that at all provided all joints are airtight. All
building regs allow it. In fact it is encouraged. Only time a soil
pipe could possibly be burst was if it was full of water and someone
applied pressure, (which would probably relieve via the WC Pan in any
case)

Reminds me of the time, when 'I were a lad' as a plumbing apprentice,
one of the 'journeymen' as they were called then, decided to find a
leak in a soil pipe by filling it with Acetylene from the blow torch
and testing for the leak with a match. He found the leak and a very
quick way to the local hospital.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Mike Clarke contains these words:

he
asked me is it against regs to have the soil pipe running down the wall
inside the kitchen area even though its boxed in?

Don't know about the current regs but that's the way it was done in our
previous house. It was built in the late 1960's along with a few thousand
similar ones in the same town. Never had any problem with it.

I doubt the kitchen makes a difference but can't be sure. However I am
almost positive that for quite a long period (now ended) it was a
building regs requirement that the soil pipe be within the building, not
outside.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:23:53 GMT, "George"
wrote:

about the soil pipe running off the toilet.

I just had a phone call and couldn't give the bloke a definate answer to
this...

He's about to buy a 2 bedroom house and has plans to construct a 3rd bedroom
over the elongated kitchen should the deal go through,anyway he asked me is
it against regs to have the soil pipe running down the wall inside the
kitchen area even though its boxed in?the stack is as per normal outside the
toilet and upto the roof as this is how its situated now and wants to
contact the vendor over it.

I said it mightwell be as should the pipe burst in the boxed cavity it could
severly cause a nasty smell not to mention seeping through the cavity wall
or floor and that sure wouldnt be nice.

Thanks.

My soil stack runs down the inside kitchen wall in a plasterboard box.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
CJF CJF is offline

wrote:

[...]

Our last house had the conventional 1930 cast iron stack on the back wall.
When we wanted to build an kitchen extension the stack was replaced with
plastic, and boxed in within the kitchen. Only comments/requirements from
the Buildings Inspector:
He tested the new plastic work himself before signing it off.
He wanted rodding access near the base of the new stack, with permanent
access - so a screwed access panel in the boxing in was provided.
Otherwise no particular requirements, and no problem with its location.

The replacement plastic stack does make it easier to add other feeds into
the stack, and in a kitchen this can include sink and dishwasher wastes etc,
subject to the usual regs about how you connect.

One thing I would suggest for a stack in a living area or kitchen - fill the
boxing in with rockwool or similar - makes the upstairs activities a little
less obvious!

Charles F