Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insured builers ??

If a builder is doing some work for you and things go wrong, who
carries the insurance burden? I'm thinking in particular about
'knocking through' between two rooms, or roofing work where the tiles
have to come off for a day or so. I suspect most household insurance
policies would exclude damage during 'works' but would welcome the
experiences of others. (no disasters yet, just thinking through the
process!)

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
If a builder is doing some work for you and things go wrong, who
carries the insurance burden? I'm thinking in particular about
'knocking through' between two rooms, or roofing work where the tiles
have to come off for a day or so. I suspect most household insurance
policies would exclude damage during 'works' but would welcome the
experiences of others. (no disasters yet, just thinking through the
process!)

AWEM

Contact your company: Mostly they will cover if the builder fails
to..and lots of smaller ones do not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:37:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:
If a builder is doing some work for you and things go wrong, who
carries the insurance burden? I'm thinking in particular about
'knocking through' between two rooms, or roofing work where the tiles
have to come off for a day or so. I suspect most household insurance
policies would exclude damage during 'works' but would welcome the
experiences of others. (no disasters yet, just thinking through the
process!)

AWEM

Contact your company: Mostly they will cover if the builder fails
to..and lots of smaller ones do not.

Insurance company will have specific requirements about contract
between OP and builder. One of thse expensive formal contracts. JCT.

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jul, 10:53, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
If a builder is doing some work for you and things go wrong, who
carries the insurance burden? I'm thinking in particular about
'knocking through' between two rooms, or roofing work where the tiles
have to come off for a day or so. I suspect most household insurance
policies would exclude damage during 'works' but would welcome the
experiences of others. (no disasters yet, just thinking through the
process!)

AWEM

For my extension (self-build, which includes "self-project-manage" !),
I payed 318 quid for 18 months site insurance including stolen tools
etc. Probably over the top for knocking a wall through, but a
possibility. It gives you public indemnity insurance, but surely the
builder should have this already. But without a "corgi" to enforce it,
I bet many don't.

What then happens if the builder brings the neighbour's wall down ??

I phoned my house insurance before, they said you won't be covered for
anything the builders nick from your house !
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andrew Mawson wrote:
If a builder is doing some work for you and things go wrong, who
carries the insurance burden? I'm thinking in particular about
'knocking through' between two rooms, or roofing work where the tiles
have to come off for a day or so. I suspect most household insurance
policies would exclude damage during 'works' but would welcome the
experiences of others. (no disasters yet, just thinking through the
process!)

AWEM

Contact your company: Mostly they will cover if the builder fails
to..and lots of smaller ones do not.

Insurance company will have specific requirements about contract
between OP and builder. One of thse expensive formal contracts. JCT.

That was the case with mine... I didn't have one in place and in the end
it was me that bought a generic JCT one (from RIBA maybe?) and stuck in
under the builder's nose to sign, just in order to keep my insurers happy.

David