Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New house, new user

Good morning everybody,
I have been lurking this NG for a few weeks now, since SWMBO and I bought
a 1930 house in NW London a month ago or so, and now it is probably the
right time to start asking questions. First of all, I'm Italian so apologies
for my poor English and for the lack of appropriate (technical) vocabulary.
I can do (and I enjoy) a number of small jobs, but sometimes I need the
experts... Being Italian and having moved to the UK only 6 years ago,
the main problem I have (and thus the first question is): how do I find
reliable plumbers, electricians, builders, etc? For instance: I'd like
to install fitted wardrobes in one of the bedorooms, a standard installation
around the chimney breast (well, kind of standard, see below). I only know
Sharps because of their marketing power, but I'm sure I'm missing better
options because I don't know how to find them.
The ISWMBO (Italian-SWMBO) requires a properly sealed construction (i.e.,
there must be no visible walls inside the wardrobes and everything must be
glossy and cleanable with appropriate detergent), I guess you call this a
"carcasse" structu can you suggest other options other than Sharps?
Also, we would like to install a downstairs toilet (under the stairs), and
again we are a bit lost and afraid of trusting those who leave a leaflet
under your door. At the same time, the only other plumber company I know is
Pimlico Plumbers but I'm not sure this is a wise choice either...

TIA for your suggestions,

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
(Virginia Woolf)

User manual help [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 December 12th 06 10:45 AM
a user Enoch Root Woodworking 2 January 18th 06 07:57 AM
TV user manual PigPOg UK diy 9 November 22nd 05 08:29 AM
Looking for a Lie-Nielsen user [email protected] Woodworking 6 July 30th 05 03:58 PM
Illegally renting main house and living in another house built on back of the house on same plot... Kaushik Home Ownership 13 October 23rd 04 12:32 PM