Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Barns and Insurance

Anyone on list got extensive outbuildings and / or barns? If so what
do you do about fabric insurance? I'm in the final throws of buying a
place that has three barns (one brick with a slate roof of 2000 sq
foot, and two open pole barns totalling 3000 sq foot). I'm about to
start ringing round for insurance quotes but would appreciate the
benefit of others experience.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 11:03:59 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

Anyone on list got extensive outbuildings and / or barns? If so what
do you do about fabric insurance? I'm in the final throws of buying a
place that has three barns (one brick with a slate roof of 2000 sq
foot, and two open pole barns totalling 3000 sq foot). I'm about to
start ringing round for insurance quotes but would appreciate the
benefit of others experience.

AWEM

We insure ours through NFU Mutual (National Farmers Union).

www.nfumutual.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone on list got extensive outbuildings and / or barns? If so what
do you do about fabric insurance?

Ask a surveyor or experienced builder to estimate the costs of rebuilding
and inform the property underwriter of that and the types of construction.
You might also invest in up-to-date lightning protection and fire sensors
with alarms which repeat in the main house to reduce the likelihood and
the extent of fire damage. If you live in a rural area all the local
brokers will be familiar with the issues. You might also ask the seller,
the real estate agent and your solicitor for their advice. The last two
of those may well also be agents for this type of cover.

Tony

NFU Mutual - either direct or via the local ( usually very helpful)
agent.

You may want to look at using NFU Mutual for your house insurance -
not the cheapest but there is unlikely to be any problems with barns
etc on the property and mixed use of property and land.
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Would that be the Tony Gold who had a roll of yellow thick ethernet
cable off me YONKS ago?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 18:27:18 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

Would that be the Tony Gold who had a roll of yellow thick

ethernet
cable off me YONKS ago?

Yup, a remnant on a drum and the vampire tap holes came for free :-)

Hi again Andrew

That must be ten years ago ! I'm abandoning the rest of the reel
(installed) in the house I'm leaving - not much call for thick
ethernet these days G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-01 20:17:15 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

wrote:

Would that be the Tony Gold who had a roll of yellow thick

ethernet
cable off me YONKS ago?

Yup, a remnant on a drum and the vampire tap holes came for free :-)

Hi again Andrew

That must be ten years ago ! I'm abandoning the rest of the reel
(installed) in the house I'm leaving - not much call for thick
ethernet these days G

AWEM

I bet that most people reading this wouldn't have any idea as to what a
vampire tap is......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I bet that most people reading this wouldn't have any idea as to what a
vampire tap is......

Some of us would...

And some of us wouldn't but a quick google was all it needed.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:
I bet that most people reading this wouldn't have any idea as to

what
a vampire tap is......

Some of us would...

Some people here are probably still running 20mA current loop...

Owain

...what ... is there a new way ????

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
I bet that most people reading this wouldn't have any idea as to what a
vampire tap is......

Some of us would...

Some people here are probably still running 20mA current loop...

0-20mA and 4-20mA current loop systems are still current (boom, boom ) )
for use in data acquisition (as it happens).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Bob Mannix wrote:
Some people here are probably still running 20mA current loop...

0-20mA and 4-20mA current loop systems are still current (boom,

boom ) )
for use in data acquisition (as it happens).

I suppose from a down to earth viewpoint there isn't much pressure

change, or potential for improvement.

Owain

We used to use (and 'they' still do) loads of current loop interfaces
in process plant when I was in that line with Ferranti. Very high
noise imunity, which can be important in a very electrically noisy
environment like they usually were !

AWEM

ps NFU have given me a very acceptable quote, so thanks for all who
suggested them