Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing Rad Valves

Hi All

I want to change the valve on my radiators to TRV's. Is this a simple case
of draining down the system fitting the new valve and refilling the system
again or are there any other things I should look out for other than filling
up slowly and checking for leaks.

cheers and best wishes

--

Ryan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ryan wrote:
I want to change the valve on my radiators to TRV's. Is this a simple
case of draining down the system fitting the new valve and refilling
the system again or are there any other things I should look out for
other than filling up slowly and checking for leaks.

You need to make sure the type of TRV you buy is in fact a direct
replacement mechanically for the LSV. Not all are. In some cases the pipe
can be moved enough to compensate, but not always. I've even come across
types that don't use a conventional olive in the compression fitting to
the pipe.

If you have a header tank fed system you might well encounter airlocks on
re-filling.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:38:48 GMT, Ryan wrote:

Hi All

I want to change the valve on my radiators to TRV's. Is this a simple case
of draining down the system fitting the new valve and refilling the system
again or are there any other things I should look out for other than filling
up slowly and checking for leaks.

cheers and best wishes

Yes I know it's a DIY NG, but my local plumber does it live, couple of
towels wodged in around the pipe, and he's got the old one off and a new
one on in literally a few seconds. Never seems to loose more than about a
cupful of water. From my point of view, it ain't worth the hastle of DIY,
especially since he does it for some beer money. :-)

Having said all of that, there are, or used to be, kits availsble that
allowed you to bung up the pipes in the header tank and in theory change
the valves with minimal water loss. I've got the bits and pieces somewhere
in the garage, which is why I now get the plumber to do them for me as I
decorate each room......

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:56:43 +0100, The Wanderer wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 23:38:48 GMT, Ryan wrote:

Hi All

I want to change the valve on my radiators to TRV's. Is this a simple case
of draining down the system fitting the new valve and refilling the system
again or are there any other things I should look out for other than filling
up slowly and checking for leaks.

cheers and best wishes

Having said all of that, there are, or used to be, kits availsble that
allowed you to bung up the pipes in the header tank and in theory change
the valves with minimal water loss.

Drayton sell them, and I think Toolstation do too. If you're doing most of
your rads (don't do them all! - see
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Zonin g#TRVs)
then it's probably less hassle overall to drain down the system. If you've
got microbore I suggest you drain down anyway and fit them like this
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...s_to_Microbore

--
John Stumbles

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having said all of that, there are, or used to be, kits availsble that
allowed you to bung up the pipes in the header tank and in theory change
the valves with minimal water loss.

Drayton sell them, and I think Toolstation do too. If you're doing most of
your rads (don't do them all! - see
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Zonin g#TRVs)
then it's probably less hassle overall to drain down the system. If you've
got microbore I suggest you drain down anyway and fit them like this
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...s_to_Microbore

Thanks for the heads many thanks to all who replied

--

Ryan