Posted to alt.home.repair
Nelson

Default replacing steam radiator valves

Hello,
I'm replacing some 3/4", angled, radiator supply valves on a two-pipe
steam system. The valves that are currently there are Hoffmann
Specialty Co. "blade-handled" valves with numbers, so I assume you can
control the amount of heat you're getting.
Basically, I'm wondering if I should try to use this same type of valve
as a replacement. Or, in other words, what are my options and what
might the approximate cost be per valve.
Thanks for your help,
Nelson

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are adjustable thermostat valves that MIGHT work, to zone
different rooms autmatically saw them on this old house, am a forced
air guy myself...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nelson

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I saw those thermostatic valves while perusing the web. I wonder
how well they work?

Basically what I've found is that there are 3 types of valves:
1.) "old-fashioned" brass valves that can be either ON or OFF
2.) "old-fashioned" brass "modulating" valves that you can dial in to
control the steam flow (that's what is on there now).
3.) thermostatic valves that you can also dial in to control steam flow

Of course, the price difference is pretty substantial, increasing as
you go down the list.

I wonder if the extra cost is worth the benefits. Do they work? Are
you getting additional headaches because of greater complexity of the
valves? Are the old ON or OFF valves just as good?

Anybody have any first-hand experience?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

To control heat it is easier, cheaper, better, to do it with the air
vents on top. Dole makes a 1-10 adjustable, Gorton have different
letter sizes, forget the hadrware store made in china ones they are
restrictive and dont last, they equal maybe 2 on a Dole adjustable.
Changing a valve to control heat will cost alot more, take more time and
not be as accurate in balancing temps. A leaking valve can be repacked.