Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to flatten hardboard..?

HI All

I'm looking for ways to flatten, and keep flattened, the interior
hardboard-and-vinyl panels on my recently-acquired '64 Morris
Traveller.

At some stage in the past the old girl's let in rainwater, and some of
the interior panels have buckled. The particularly bad areas are along
the top of the doors, just under the window seal - where the panel is
standing a one to two cm away from the door in some places.

Rather than replace the whole lot (I think they're probably original)
- I was wondering about ways of removing the panels and clamping them
flat, to permanantly remove the 'wavyness'...

Should I be thinking about 'steaming' the panel, or maybe even using
some of that 'wood hardener' to stiffen the panel once it's clamped..?

Anybody done this - or is it a waste of time ??

Many thanks
Adrian