Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing cast iron soil stack

Hi

I have just had a plumber come and quote for replacing the existing
bathroom suite. We want the toilet moving about two feet to the left.
The soil stack is the original 1930s cast iron one and he has advised
that we will have to take it down and replace with pvc since the angle
of the connector is too steep for where the new toilet will be - the
pipe would come in about half way up the wall. Does this sound right
or am I about to be stung for another 300 quid for no reason and it is
just to make his life easier. The old pipe is original to the house
and we would like to keep it if we can

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
wrote:
I have just had a plumber come and quote for replacing the existing
bathroom suite. We want the toilet moving about two feet to the left.
The soil stack is the original 1930s cast iron one and he has advised
that we will have to take it down and replace with pvc since the angle
of the connector is too steep for where the new toilet will be - the
pipe would come in about half way up the wall. Does this sound right
or am I about to be stung for another 300 quid for no reason and it is
just to make his life easier. The old pipe is original to the house
and we would like to keep it if we can

You can get all the bits to re-work a cast iron stack. It may not be cost
effective, though, given labour costs.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
In the worst case there are plenty of rubber couplers available to patch
a new section into old.

Why bodge it when the correct bits are available? I'd also not be happy
with a rubber coupler - the stack needs firm support overall due to the
weight.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
fred wrote:
In the worst case there are plenty of rubber couplers available to patch
a new section into old.

Why bodge it when the correct bits are available? I'd also not be happy
with a rubber coupler - the stack needs firm support overall due to the
weight.

So you didn't read the, "In the worst case" start to that para then?
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jun, 18:55, wrote:
Hi

I have just had a plumber come and quote for replacing the existing
bathroom suite. We want the toilet moving about two feet to the left.
The soil stack is the original 1930s cast iron one and he has advised
that we will have to take it down and replace with pvc since the angle
of the connector is too steep for where the new toilet will be - the
pipe would come in about half way up the wall. Does this sound right
or am I about to be stung for another 300 quid for no reason and it is
just to make his life easier. The old pipe is original to the house
and we would like to keep it if we can

Keep the CI if you can. It's much quieter than plastic.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
John wrote:
Keep the CI if you can. It's much quieter than plastic.

It also has a near indefinite life if maintained - unlike plastic.
Especially true with gutters. It may not be economic to use cast iron on a
new build, but many rip it out and replace with plastic only to regret it
later.

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Cast Iron Soil Stack replacement slindsey3000 Home Repair 4 June 4th 07 05:13 PM
Replacing Cast Iron Soil Stack. (pictures included) Help me please! slindsey3000 Home Repair 2 June 4th 07 03:05 AM
cast iron soil stack firefox UK diy 15 May 13th 06 12:38 AM
Cast Iron Soil Stack Ed UK diy 8 November 18th 04 09:39 PM
Replacing cast iron DWV stack pipe Alexander Galkin Home Repair 2 August 11th 03 03:03 PM