Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower's pressure relief device has operated.

I've just moved into a new (for me) house only to find that water is
pouring out of the bottom of the electric shower - a Gainsborough 8.5kW
model. The previous owners have gone on holiday and Gainsborough Showers
are closed for the weekend. There's still enough water getting through
to have a shower so there's no hygiene emergency.

It seems the pressure relief device has operated because if I remove the
shower head the water comes only through the pipe.

Are these devices one-shot or is there a way of resetting it?

Another Dave
--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message
I've just moved into a new (for me) house only to find that water is
pouring out of the bottom of the electric shower - a Gainsborough 8.5kW
model. The previous owners have gone on holiday and Gainsborough Showers
are closed for the weekend. There's still enough water getting through to
have a shower so there's no hygiene emergency.

It seems the pressure relief device has operated because if I remove the
shower head the water comes only through the pipe.

Well I don't quite understand your logic. That suggest to me that the shower
head has something to do with the problem, choked maybe?

Are these devices one-shot or is there a way of resetting it?

If you can't find manual downloads from the manufacturer's website a
selection of downloads are available on Screwfix. The Triton manual makes
it clear you should isolate the shower until you have tyaken proper advice.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Alexander wrote:
It seems the pressure relief device has operated because if I remove the
shower head the water comes only through the pipe.

Well I don't quite understand your logic. That suggest to me that the shower
head has something to do with the problem, choked maybe?

My logic is that the extra back pressure caused by the head is causing
the problem. The head isn't blocked and a new head hasn't cured the problem.

Are these devices one-shot or is there a way of resetting it?

If you can't find manual downloads from the manufacturer's website a
selection of downloads are available on Screwfix. The Triton manual makes
it clear you should isolate the shower until you have tyaken proper advice.

I have the manual and it says ring Gainsborough's service number. I did
this and they said they were closed until Monday

Thanks for the reply

Another Dave

--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:43:15 +0100, Another Dave wrote:

I've just moved into a new (for me) house only to find that water is
pouring out of the bottom of the electric shower - a Gainsborough 8.5kW
model. The previous owners have gone on holiday and Gainsborough Showers
are closed for the weekend. There's still enough water getting through
to have a shower so there's no hygiene emergency.

It seems the pressure relief device has operated because if I remove the
shower head the water comes only through the pipe.

Are these devices one-shot or is there a way of resetting it?

Another Dave

The pressure relief device is very sensitive on these models and will
operate if someone has the audacity to place their palm over the shower
head.

However they are also very easy to fix.
You need a No.1 point (small) cross head (posi and phillips are
interchangeable at this size).

with the power off (of course) and the bath plug in the hole (you'll find
out why later) remove the trim plate, control knob and unscrew (normal No.
2 Pozi) the outer cover. You can then remove (with the No.1 point) the
outlet fitting. In the outlet fitting is a small rubber ball (about 6mm
diam) which can be reseated back in the outlet fitting.

If the releif water is running down the tiles then you may have no problem
but if it's finding its way behind...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

The pressure relief device is very sensitive on these models and will
operate if someone has the audacity to place their palm over the shower
head.

However they are also very easy to fix.
You need a No.1 point (small) cross head (posi and phillips are
interchangeable at this size).

with the power off (of course) and the bath plug in the hole (you'll find
out why later) remove the trim plate, control knob and unscrew (normal No.
2 Pozi) the outer cover. You can then remove (with the No.1 point) the
outlet fitting. In the outlet fitting is a small rubber ball (about 6mm
diam) which can be reseated back in the outlet fitting.

If the releif water is running down the tiles then you may have no problem
but if it's finding its way behind...

That's the kind of reply that really impresses me. I'll give it a try.
The water is just running down the tiles so I don't expect any problem
there.

Thank you very much.

Another Dave

--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bingo!

Ed Sirett wrote:

However they are also very easy to fix.

They are with the right instructions. It only took a few minutes.

You're a scholar and a gentleman. Thanks very much.

Another Dave

--
change nospam to f2s in e-mail