Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I've drilled the bath tap holes too far back!

Help! I could kick myself! I've drilled the tap holes in my new bath
too far back. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fill the holes
and start again?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jun, 20:28, Andy Cap wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:15:48 -0700, wrote:
Help! I could kick myself! I've drilled the tap holes in my new bath
too far back. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fill the holes
and start again?

I had a hole in my new bath, where a tile slipped down and went through a part
so thin it was like egg-shell. I could have got it changed under the warranty
but couldn't face fitting it and doing the tiling again and so it was invisibly
repaired. I would look in Yellow pages for such a service. It's not quite
invisible but anyone not knowing, wouldn't notice the repair.

Andy

Many thanks Andy. It's worth a try.
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Help! I could kick myself! I've drilled the tap holes in my new bath
too far back. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fill the holes
and start again?

Consider getting a piece of contrasting coloured opaque plastic/perspex to
cover the holes and to mount the taps on in the correct location. Edges can
be chamfered or profiled with a router at low speed/light cut to avoid
melting the plastic. Seal under the perspex with silicone.

For a different reason I have a set up like this at the end of my bath -
champagne bath - jet black plastic mount for a bar type shower mixer. looks
OK and passed SWMBO approval too.

HTH

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jun, 20:55, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Help! I could kick myself! I've drilled the tap holes in my new bath
too far back. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fill the holes
and start again?

If its a crap fibergalss one, try polyester resin, with microballoons in
it, or white pigment, and some fibre glass cloth

See here for stuff.

http://www.fibretechgb.co.uk/DefaultHome.htm

Thanks Natural Philosopher - you might be onto something there, I'll
look into it.
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jun, 22:11, "Bob Minchin" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Help! I could kick myself! I've drilled the tap holes in my new bath
too far back. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fill the holes
and start again?

Consider getting a piece of contrasting coloured opaque plastic/perspex to
cover the holes and to mount the taps on in the correct location. Edges can
be chamfered or profiled with a router at low speed/light cut to avoid
melting the plastic. Seal under the perspex with silicone.

For a different reason I have a set up like this at the end of my bath -
champagne bath - jet black plastic mount for a bar type shower mixer. looks
OK and passed SWMBO approval too.

HTH

Bob

Thanks for your input Bob, sounds like a goer. I ran it past my SWMBO
and she approves. Thanks again.
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Instead of trying to 'hide it' go the other way and make a feature ....
put a plate over the area of the holes and the correct new holes, make it
decorative ... polished stainless for example.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Help! I could kick myself! I've drilled the tap holes in my new bath
too far back. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fill the holes
and start again?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 8:15 pm, wrote:
Help! I could kick myself! I've drilled the tap holes in my new bath
too far back. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fill the holes
and start again?

What about simply buying another bath? In my recent experience it
seemed that the baths were very cheap, almost loss leaders, with the
priofit being made on the shower fittings and so forth.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Help! I could kick myself! I've drilled the tap holes in my new bath
too far back. Does anyone have any ideas how I could fill the holes
and start again?

If it is fiberglass or acrylic get a gelcoat repair kit from a chandler
or from an online supplier. To fill the holes, put tape over the back of
the hole and fill to within a few mm of the surface using a grp
reinforced polyester resin filler.

Then fill the last few mm using the gelcoat repair kit. This can be
sanded flat using wet and dry paper and then needs polishing to get a
high gloss finish.

http://www.svsp.co.uk/Shop%20Website...epair_kits.htm

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/ProductIn...ductid=BG87001

Be warned, sailors soon learn there are many shades of white and getting
an invisible repair takes a heck of a lot of work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rick Hughes, Gavin Jenkins wrote:
any ideas where you can buy that stuff Rick

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ck-401585-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to ukc801767782, Gavin Jenkins wrote:
do you have pictures ?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ck-401585-.htm

Wall mounted Sink, holes drilled in wrong place TallJim UK diy 3 February 16th 07 01:51 PM
Drilling Bath Tap Holes Steve UK diy 2 May 29th 06 11:03 PM
Bath tap cooler than kitchen tap???????? [email protected] UK diy 4 February 6th 06 07:04 PM
How straight are drilled holes? Was Need to drill 1" deep .138 hole Thank you! Dan Caster Metalworking 27 January 8th 04 07:04 AM
Bath tap seemingly welded to iron bath mfcexpert UK diy 10 December 12th 03 10:26 PM