Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A water meter fiddle?

I was doing a routine check for water leaks at home today, I just observe
the little 'spinning' wheel on the water meter with everything turned off to
make sure it's not moving - it wasn't.

Then I started thinking. The meter works by way of a little turbine wheel
that spins in proportion to water flow and is geared to the counter unit. I
wondered if the turbine needs a certain minimum flow of water to overcome
the meter's internal friction. So, by opening a cold tap just a tiny amount
(just little more than a constant stream of drips) I observed that the meter
wasn't rotating at all. My theory would appear correct.

So, what if I fitted two ball cocks to the DHW header tank? One half way
down the tank to work normally and one at the top with a stop valve upstream
throttled to allow a drip feed only. With this working 24/7 I should get
'free' water maybe?

I'm not from Yorkshire BTW, I just like the idea of getting something for
nothing!

Julian.

leccy on de fiddle....Teehee!! p.mc UK diy 21 October 2nd 06 12:21 PM
My tenants had a water meter installed, I want unmetered water back. Charlie UK diy 26 August 9th 06 12:41 PM
REBEC FIDDLE J T Woodworking 0 August 11th 05 11:21 PM
Replace water line and valve to bldg from water meter - HOW Stromer2 Home Repair 4 October 19th 04 04:52 PM
Does having an Expansion Tank on your Water Heater make the water meter move? Cameron Home Repair 6 July 3rd 04 02:21 AM