Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old Central Heating Pipes causing damp

We recently moved into a early 1960s build house, where the orginal
heatng system has been replaced. However the original pipes have been
cut off and it would seem still contain water and this has effected the
carpet underlay in the region close to the pipe cut off in certain rooms .

Does any one have experience of this problem and what would be the
recommended solution ?

Thanks in advance.

--
I'm afraid Mr.Zarnywoop is too cool to see you now...
He's on an intergalactic cruise in his office.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Zarnywoop" wrote:
We recently moved into a early 1960s build house, where the orginal heatng
system has been replaced. However the original pipes have been cut off and
it would seem still contain water and this has effected the carpet
underlay in the region close to the pipe cut off in certain rooms .

Does any one have experience of this problem and what would be the
recommended solution ?

Thanks in advance.

--
I'm afraid Mr.Zarnywoop is too cool to see you now...
He's on an intergalactic cruise in his office.

Why can't the pipes be drained off? Do you mean that the original pipes have
been cut flush with the floor? What type of floor is it, concrete or wooden
floorboards?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DIY wrote:

"Zarnywoop" wrote:

We recently moved into a early 1960s build house, where the orginal heatng
system has been replaced. However the original pipes have been cut off and
it would seem still contain water and this has effected the carpet
underlay in the region close to the pipe cut off in certain rooms .

Does any one have experience of this problem and what would be the
recommended solution ?

Thanks in advance.

--
I'm afraid Mr.Zarnywoop is too cool to see you now...
He's on an intergalactic cruise in his office.

Why can't the pipes be drained off? Do you mean that the original pipes have
been cut flush with the floor? What type of floor is it, concrete or wooden
floorboards?

Yes the old pipes have been cut flush with the floor and in some cases
the ends bent over. Its a concrete floor that the pipes are buried under.

--
I'm afraid Mr.Zarnywoop is too cool to see you now...
He's on an intergalactic cruise in his office.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zarnywoop" wrote

Yes the old pipes have been cut flush with the floor and in some cases the
ends bent over. Its a concrete floor that the pipes are buried under.

Expose the pipe ends and open as necessary.
Get some plastic tube and suck the contents out as best you can (don't
swallow any of the crud though!!)
Do this repeatedly and from different locations to ensure you get the low
point.
Blow hot air down the pipes to dry thoroughly.
Re-seal pipes.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Zarnywoop" wrote

Yes the old pipes have been cut flush with the floor and in some cases
the ends bent over. Its a concrete floor that the pipes are buried under.

Expose the pipe ends and open as necessary.
Get some plastic tube and suck the contents out as best you can (don't
swallow any of the crud though!!)

I would find a pond/aquarium pump or something similar to do this. I know
there will be rude comments but I would not even want the contents in my
mouth never mind swallow.

Do this repeatedly and from different locations to ensure you get the low
point.

Yes.

Blow hot air down the pipes to dry thoroughly.
Re-seal pipes.

The pipes were obivously not sealed.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

"TheScullster" wrote in message

"Zarnywoop" wrote

Yes the old pipes have been cut flush with the floor and in some
cases the ends bent over. Its a concrete floor that the pipes are
buried under.

Expose the pipe ends and open as necessary.
Get some plastic tube and suck the contents out as best you can (don't
swallow any of the crud though!!)

I would find a pond/aquarium pump or something similar to do this. I
know there will be rude comments but I would not even want the contents
in my mouth never mind swallow.

Do this repeatedly and from different locations to ensure you get the
low point.

Yes.

Blow hot air down the pipes to dry thoroughly.
Re-seal pipes.

The pipes were obivously not sealed.

Adam

Thanks all for your responses. What is the best way to seal them to
prevent the problem in the future ?

--
I'm afraid Mr.Zarnywoop is too cool to see you now...
He's on an intergalactic cruise in his office.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 19:23:59 +0100, Zarnywoop
wrote:

Thanks all for your responses. What is the best way to seal them to
prevent the problem in the future ?

Buy a bag of mortar mix from a shed and fill each pipe to the top with
the dry mix. Water in the pipe will be drawn into the powder and fill
it at the same time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Thanks all for your responses. What is the best way to seal them to
prevent the problem in the future ?

Buy a bag of mortar mix from a shed and fill each pipe to the top with
the dry mix.

How?

Water in the pipe will be drawn into the powder and fill it at the same time.

You cannot be serious?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zarnywoop" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Once there is no water in them then there is no need to seal the pipes.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Zarnywoop" wrote in message

ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

I used a "aquavac" cleaner with an attachment made from a demijohn bung
in an old vacuum cleaner pipe to convert from the cleaner hose to some
clear 8mm PVC pipe. The amount of water that came out was amazing and I
had to empty the cleaner several times. I will give it a week and try
again to make sure its dry.