Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default stair hallway lighting position

regulars here know I've moved my staircase this week
IVe been advised by the builders that I will need a switch at the bottom of
the stairs to turn on the light at the top
as a safety requirement before the Building inspector would be happy ot sign
off the alterations.
No problem, I can re-locate the existing switch now obsolete in the middle
of my new lounge/diner.
Question is, the light bulb itself at the top of the stairs, now sits around
the corner from the top of the stairs by approx 3 feet. So does the
lightbulb have to be visible from the bottom of the stairs? i.e. do I need
to move it ?
TIA
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

"Vass" wrote in message
regulars here know I've moved my staircase this week
IVe been advised by the builders that I will need a switch at the bottom
of the stairs to turn on the light at the top
as a safety requirement before the Building inspector would be happy ot
sign off the alterations.
No problem, I can re-locate the existing switch now obsolete in the middle
of my new lounge/diner.
Question is, the light bulb itself at the top of the stairs, now sits
around the corner from the top of the stairs by approx 3 feet. So does the
lightbulb have to be visible from the bottom of the stairs? i.e. do I need
to move it ?
TIA
--
Vass

No you do not need to move it, they advised you to move the switch although
there is NO requirement to do so. You can put it wherever you like.
Do the builders also do electrical work by any chance!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Ian is offline

"Owain" wrote in message
Vass wrote:
regulars here know I've moved my staircase this week
IVe been advised by the builders that I will need a switch at the bottom
of the stairs to turn on the light at the top
as a safety requirement before the Building inspector would be happy ot
sign off the alterations.
No problem, I can re-locate the existing switch now obsolete in the
middle of my new lounge/diner.
Question is, the light bulb itself at the top of the stairs, now sits
around the corner from the top of the stairs by approx 3 feet. So does
the lightbulb have to be visible from the bottom of the stairs? i.e. do I
need to move it ?

I don't think so, provided the light levels are adequate.

Owain

Just don't use a crappy energy saving bulb, they should not be allowed on
stairs as they take a while to "warm up" and give off a decent light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Just don't use a crappy energy saving bulb, they should not be allowed
on stairs as they take a while to "warm up" and give off a decent
light.

But they also don't fail suddenly like a filament lamp.

Eh? They do. Perhaps not so often, though.

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo Geo is offline

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:26:18 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Owain wrote:

But they also don't fail suddenly like a filament lamp.

Eh? They do. Perhaps not so often, though.

Nah - they both only fail once...

Geo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geo" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:26:18 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

wrote:

In article ,
Owain wrote:

But they also don't fail suddenly like a filament lamp.

Eh? They do. Perhaps not so often, though.

Nah - they both only fail once...

Are you sure? My Grandma used to remake the filamant connection during the
war, and no doubt for many years after. Power the broken lamp up in a table
lamp and carefully move the broken filament around by manouvering the
tablelamp until the filament remakes the connection. Apparently the lamp
often worked again.

Adam

Laminate in hallway Staffbull UK diy 5 February 10th 07 01:30 PM
kitchen lighting: track system with pendant lighting [email protected] UK diy 4 October 30th 06 11:02 PM
Looking for photo's or suggestions for kitchen/hallway lighting [email protected] UK diy 3 November 11th 05 11:17 AM
LED lighting for stair treads... Mike Deblis UK diy 12 August 6th 05 06:27 PM
Mid-Position 3 Port Valve - Hot Water (A) position & OFF - but HW flow to boiler? Clivedodd UK diy 3 September 9th 03 12:53 AM