Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting a bath

I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as per
reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why I don't
know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job this is
? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc. Just
wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigToe wrote:
I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as per
reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why I don't
know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job this is
? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc. Just
wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

You don't paint baths. There's a very good reason for this.

--
Grunff
Low temperature Stirling engine:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 6:37 pm, "BigToe" wrote:
I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as per
reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why I don't
know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job this is
? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc. Just
wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

Thanks

Try these guys ...

http://www.tubbyuk.com/
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/204-0000

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigToe wrote:

Care to share ?

Think about it - harsh environment, lots of scrubbing, hot water. Enamel
or gelcoat, that's pretty much all that works.

--
Grunff
Low temperature Stirling engine:
http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?prid=211027
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 7:04 pm, "BigToe" wrote:
"Grunff" wrote in message

BigToe wrote:
I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as per
reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why I
don't know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job this
is ? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc.
Just wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

You don't paint baths. There's a very good reason for this.

Care to share ?

quick fix: http://tinyurl.com/ypy3t7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-30 18:45:26 +0100, Grunff said:

BigToe wrote:
I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as
per reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why
I don't know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job
this is ? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type
paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc.
Just wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

You don't paint baths. There's a very good reason for this.

There are several.

- It looks like cr@p

- It doesn't work

- It wrecks the bath

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grunff
writes
BigToe wrote:

Care to share ?

Think about it - harsh environment, lots of scrubbing, hot water.
Enamel or gelcoat, that's pretty much all that works.

I tried the two part epoxy "Tubby" after dosing it with hydrochloric
acid

It's been on the bath for 4 or 5 years now, and it's still there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-30 18:45:26 +0100, Grunff said:

BigToe wrote:
I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as
per reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why
I don't know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job
this is ? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type
paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc.
Just wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

You don't paint baths. There's a very good reason for this.

There are several.

- It looks like cr@p

- It doesn't work

- It wrecks the bath

Done professionally

it looks superb

It works a treat and so far has lasted 5 years without any signs of
deterioration at all

It restored a CI bath that was wrecked.

As far as I know, it can be painted over again if the existing coat
does get damaged.

Don't know where you got your opinion/experience from Andy, but
clearly we had it done properly and I would strongly recommend it -
that is getting it done by someone who has the right materials,
equipment and knowledge.

Rob

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-30 18:45:26 +0100, Grunff said:

BigToe wrote:
[...]

The key here is possibly "professionally". I have seen absolute
abominations of painted baths.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-30 18:37:42 +0100, "BigToe" said:

I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as per
reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why I
don't
know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job this
is
? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc.
Just
wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

Thanks

Water soluble....

Clear lack of knowledge, you don't use water soluble paint in a bath.
I have painted two baths, both fine now. That was using a product mentioned
on the "tubby" site.
The enamel kits are also very good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ST150
writes

On 2007-05-30 18:37:42 +0100, "BigToe" said:

I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as per
reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why I
don't
know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job this
is
? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc.
Just
wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

Thanks

Water soluble....

Clear lack of knowledge, you don't use water soluble paint in a bath.

Really ?

Why ever not ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ST150" saying
something like:

Water soluble....

Clear lack of knowledge, you don't use water soluble paint in a bath.

Clear lack of SOH.
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-30 18:37:42 +0100, "BigToe" said:

I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as
per
reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why I
don't
know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job this
is
? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc.
Just
wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

Thanks

Water soluble....

Clear lack of knowledge, you don't use water soluble paint in a bath.
I have painted two baths, both fine now. That was using a product
mentioned on the "tubby" site.
The enamel kits are also very good.

Damn!

I'll go put away my poster paint then.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 May 2007 18:37:42 +0100, "BigToe"
wrote:

I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as per
reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why I don't
know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job this is
? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc. Just
wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

Thanks

A blue bath ..Is the woman mad . What colour are the toilet and w/h
basin ?

Save your pennies and buy a nice new bath in white FFS .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was thinking of rubbing my bath down and painting it a baby blue as per
reuqets of wife who wants to change everything in the bathroom, why I
don't
know.

Having well never painted a bath I was wondeirng how possible a job this
is
? What kind of paint is on the bath, looks like an enamel type paint ?

I've got a nice spay gun (used to do a little spraying) compressor etc.
Just
wondering what kind of paint setup I could use ?

Thanks

A blue bath ..Is the woman mad . What colour are the toilet and w/h
basin ?

Save your pennies and buy a nice new bath in white FFS .

That what I said, a nice new white bath. But noooooooooo has to be feckin
blue. We have white sink, white toilet FFS it will look stupid. Pah.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

So do a crap job so you will have to get a new suite, simple really ;-)

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 May, 07:23, "White Van Man" wrote:
"ST150" wrote in message

Damn!

I'll go put away my poster paint then.....

My What Whit, What Charm........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , BigToe
writes

A blue bath ..Is the woman mad . What colour are the toilet and w/h
basin ?

Save your pennies and buy a nice new bath in white FFS .

That what I said, a nice new white bath. But noooooooooo has to be feckin
blue. We have white sink, white toilet FFS it will look stupid. Pah.

Who's the boss ?

whack her around the head with something which will bring her to her
senses

--
geoff