Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Missing Prat P certificates and how to get them.

A mate has had a kitchen fitted about 6 months ago that involved major
electrical work, new cooker feed, adding a new ring main just for kicthen
and electical underfloor heating. All is now complete'ish, new ceiling up,
walls replastered, and tiled, painting done, floor tiled etc.

However speaking to him the other day he realised he has absolutely nothing
in terms of paperwork to do with the electrical testing/Part P. Went back
the fitting company who said the fitter they employed was Part P self
certifying and should have given him the paperwork of what he did, but as
they have parted company with this fitter my mate should therefore get the
electrics certified/tested and the fitting company will pay. No problem he
thought.

A quick phone call to a couple of electricians reveals a problem, none of
them are interested as they did not fit the electrical installation so
therefore cannot sign it off as they can no longer physically inspect
it.!!!!!

I suspect my mate is asking for the wrong thing, what should he be asking
electricians for ?

Should be asking the local building control for "completion certificate"

The fitting company is not much help as they only employ self certifying
fitters and don't have a clue what paperwork should be issued.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:

However speaking to him the other day he realised he has absolutely
nothing in terms of paperwork to do with the electrical testing/Part P.
Went back the fitting company who said the fitter they employed was Part
P self certifying and should have given him the paperwork of what he
did, but as they have parted company with this fitter my mate should
therefore get the electrics certified/tested and the fitting company
will pay. No problem he thought.

A quick phone call to a couple of electricians reveals a problem, none
of them are interested as they did not fit the electrical installation
so therefore cannot sign it off as they can no longer physically inspect
it.!!!!!

They are right, there is no provision in part P for anyone other than
the original installer to be able to self certify it. A third party can
not come along later and issue one for him.

I suspect my mate is asking for the wrong thing, what should he be
asking electricians for ?

Nothing, he would need to contact the original electrician.

Should be asking the local building control for "completion certificate"

Was this work being done under a building notice? If not then no.

The fitting company is not much help as they only employ self certifying
fitters and don't have a clue what paperwork should be issued.

About par for the course. If building control are not involved then he
may as well go without.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian_m" wrote

A mate has had a kitchen fitted about 6 months ago that involved major
electrical work, new cooker feed, adding a new ring main just for kicthen
and electical underfloor heating. All is now complete'ish................

So has he paid the full amount to the kitchen supply company?

If the electrician was appointed by (and effectively under the control of)
the kitchen company , i. e. nothing to do with your mate, then it should be
the kitchen company's responsibility to provide an install that meets
current regs! This obviously includes the provision of appropriate
paperwork.

I recently had a major heating upgrade which included all new electrics,
controls etc.
My agreement was with the plumbing company who sub'd the work out to a local
lekky.
It was the plumbing company I approached to get the Part P certification -
but I had'nt paid the bill at that point!
AIUI the plumbing company (in my case) and the kitchen company (in your
mate's case) are adopting the role of "main contractor" and as such become
liable for the project as a whole. Although they will conveniently (for
them) try to distance themselves from their own appointed subbies as and
when it suits.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 May, 16:07, "Ian_m" wrote:
[...]

I would just forget about it. I've never seen a Part P certificate.
Mother-in-law's new bathroom was fitted by an electrician who lied
about being part P. Neighbors house was renovated and signed off by
building control despite no electrical certificate. Another neighbor's
new house wasn't given an electrical certificate, but also signed off
by BC.

You could do a building notice, then call in the inspector when the
work is "done".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:28:12 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Ian_m wrote:

[...]

This is just another example of how badly thought out this law was.
what happens if someone becomes seriously ill or worse at the end of an
installation?

Unless you need the paperwork to sell the house I'd just forget it.
If you do then you'll have to get a Periodic from an electrician.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugo Nebula" abuse@localhost wrote in message
On 30 May 2007 09:14:28 -0700, a particular chimpanzee,
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

You could do a building notice, then call in the inspector when the
work is "done".

NAPIT does allow testing of third party installations. From their
website, the FAQ for their members says this:

"Can I notify a job if I carry out the electrical inspection &
testing?

(Approved Document P) Clause 1.22 allows an unregistered installer to
submit the BS7671 installation certificate and says that the building
control body will take this into account. If an appropriately
qualified NAPIT members has carried out third party electrical
inspection and testing for such an unregistered installer then they
can complete the BS7671 installation certificate providing they follow
the advice given in the question & answer above and only sign off the
inspect and test element. The member cannot notify the job in this
case".
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"

All the inspection bodies allow for the test and inspection of
installations. I can do this and sign the inspect and test part of the cert,
BUT, I cannot still notify it, because I would not have carried out the
installation. So basically he has an issue with the contractor that needs
resolving if he sells the property.

--
Regards

Stephen Dawson
Fox Electrical Services Ltd
www.foxelectrical.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 May, 23:07, Owain wrote:
Hugo Nebula wrote:
NAPIT does allow testing of third party installations. From their
website, the FAQ for their members says this:
"Can I notify a job if I carry out the electrical inspection &
testing?
(Approved Document P) Clause 1.22 allows an unregistered installer to
submit the BS7671 installation certificate and says that the building
control body will take this into account. If an appropriately
qualified NAPIT members has carried out third party electrical
inspection and testing for such an unregistered installer then they
can complete the BS7671 installation certificate providing they follow
the advice given in the question & answer above and only sign off the
inspect and test element. The member cannot notify the job in this
case".

I think this confuses testing to BS7671, and Part Pee compliance.

Owain

It's easy to get confused though isn't it? You get conflicting
opinions as to what PartP means wherever you ask. I have even had an
electrical wholesaler refuse to sell me stuff because I'm not PartP
registered. (How could I be, I'm not an electrician). They had the
NICEIC in the day before who told them it was illegal to sell stuff to
unregistered electricians. They have subsequently sold me stuff.

I think I agree with what you seem to be suggesting:

Part P - Building Control requirements relaxed. (certificates
included)
BS7671 Certificate - Inform BC before work commences, then either they
inspect or accept a certificate.
Competence: Part P - Member of scheme.
BS7671 - C+G 2391 ?????

I'm not entirely sure as to the competency required to issue a BS7671
certificate. I know one person who installed a grid connected wind
turbine in his garden. He provided a BS7671 certificate, which he
filled in himself (incorrectly), which was acceptable to Building
Control. It seemed to me that so long as they could prove that it was
someone else's responsibility, they were happy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

He has contacted the original fitter (kept his mobile) who was employed by
the kitchen company, but the two of them are no longer on speaking terms.
The fitter wants nothing to do with it anymore. Fiiter says he submitted the
relevant test and signed off paperwork to the kitchen company. He says he
must have or else he would not have been paid for the job.

The fitter apparently was sacked due to "anomolous billing of jobs", rather
than quality of his work.

Anyway my mate is no further forward...The list of deliverables for his
kitchen does state Part P compliance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NAPIT does allow testing of third party installations. From their
website, the FAQ for their members says this:

"Can I notify a job if I carry out the electrical inspection &
testing?

(Approved Document P) Clause 1.22 allows an unregistered installer to
submit the BS7671 installation certificate and says that the building
control body will take this into account. If an appropriately
qualified NAPIT members has carried out third party electrical
inspection and testing for such an unregistered installer then they
can complete the BS7671 installation certificate providing they follow
the advice given in the question & answer above and only sign off the
inspect and test element. The member cannot notify the job in this
case".
--

How do you perform an inspection if wires are now behind plasterboard, tiles
etc ? I did see it when work was in progress and all the socket feeds were

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 May, 13:42, "Ian_m" wrote:
[...]

That's a fair point. However, we are talking about a piece of paper
here, whose sole purpose is to get the authorities off our back! In
all inspection assumptions are made, and only a percentage of an
installation is checked. If standard practice has been obviously
followed, then you might be in luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:

Anyway my mate is no further forward...The list of deliverables for his
kitchen does state Part P compliance.

Since his only contract is with them, then they are the ones he will
have to play hardball with then. (especially if he has not paid the bill
yet)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 31 May, 13:42, "Ian_m" wrote:
[...]

Anyway speaking to local BCO they say he can get an inspection and test
certificate, pay council £80 and they will issue a regulations completion
certificate (or something like that) and he can sleep more easily, earn
millions and live for ever........You can tell my mate is losing interest
very quickly.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:36:57 +0100 Grimly Curmudgeon wrote :
Obviously wishful thinking on the part of the NICEIC, showing what they
would like to happen sometime in the next few years. Iirc, there are
similar restrictions on the sale of electrical, HVAC, and plumbing
items in some US states.

"Spare parts supplier, Parts Center has announced that from January next
year it will no longer sell ‘gas-carrying parts’ to customers who are not
registered with CORGI.

The move is viewed by CORGI as a breakthrough in its ongoing campaign to
persuade manufacturers and merchants to make it more difficult for
illegal gas workers to operate. Parts Center will be the first national
product distributor to adopt such a policy."

http://www.phamnews.co.uk/news/newsD...D=1&newsID=427

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-31 20:30:32 +0100, Tony Bryer said:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 18:36:57 +0100 Grimly Curmudgeon wrote :
Obviously wishful thinking on the part of the NICEIC, showing what they
would like to happen sometime in the next few years. Iirc, there are
similar restrictions on the sale of electrical, HVAC, and plumbing
items in some US states.

"Spare parts supplier, Parts Center has announced that from January next
year it will no longer sell ‘gas-carrying parts’ to customers who are not
registered with CORGI.

The move is viewed by CORGI as a breakthrough in its ongoing campaign to
persuade manufacturers and merchants to make it more difficult for
illegal gas workers to operate. Parts Center will be the first national
product distributor to adopt such a policy."

http://www.phamnews.co.uk/news/newsD...D=1&newsID=427

Market opportunity.

Become CORGI registered and a reseller of parts.

Second market opportunity.

Other parts distributors picking up the market share from Parts Center

I suspect that the reality is that few parts of this type are sold by
Parts Center to non registered customers anyway and they've decided
that they might as well have the press coverage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 May 2007 20:37:46 +0100 Andy Hall wrote :
I suspect that the reality is that few parts of this type are
sold by Parts Center to non registered customers anyway and
they've decided that they might as well have the press coverage.

You and I would turn up at the counter knowing what we want, buy
it, and that would be the end of it. But, as you say, what we spend
is not worth worrying about as compared to their overall sales.

I would not be totally surprised if they didn't have a fair number
of people who wanted lots of free advice, didn't know what they
were doing, then brought the bits back for a refund. All the time
trade customers waiting behind them getting increasingly fed up.
Losing these people is a bonus to them and their trade customers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tony Bryer writes:
"Spare parts supplier, Parts Center has announced that from January next
year it will no longer sell ‘gas-carrying parts’ to customers who are not
registered with CORGI.

The move is viewed by CORGI as a breakthrough in its ongoing campaign to
persuade manufacturers and merchants to make it more difficult for
illegal gas workers to operate. Parts Center will be the first national
product distributor to adopt such a policy."

http://www.phamnews.co.uk/news/newsD...D=1&newsID=427

Oh brilliant -- so we'll have people fitting wrong parts and
improvising now. That's sure to improve gas safety...

I have found Parts Center's lack of stock makes them less than
useful in any case.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian_m" wrote in message
wrote in message
ps.com...
On 31 May, 13:42, "Ian_m" wrote:
[...]

He finally had a long chat with kitchen fitter. The fitter said he could not
actually issue Prat P paper work (and advised the fitting company) as the
electrical Part P work he did was subsequently modified/rearranged by "other
people", thus he could not issue Part P as it was no longer all his
installation.

After much head scratching my mate suspects the "other people" are the tiler
who did the underfloor heating underfloor heating moving the fused spur and
controller from where the fitter initally installed it to somewhere move
convenient and the plasterer when he replaced the ceiling
rearranged/re-wired all the downlighters so that they illuminated the work
surfaces better.

The tiler and plasterer were not employed by the kitchen fitting compamy but
were by recommendation from friends.

So still no further forward.

Surely this is a major fault with Prat P that a suitably qualified
electrician can come in do his finest certifiable work but not be able to
issue Prat P as his work is subsequently modified by other trades in the
course of their work.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian_m" wrote in message
"Ian_m" wrote in message
wrote in message
ps.com...
On 31 May, 13:42, "Ian_m" wrote:
[...]

No, that should be down to the project manager to ensure other don't
alter anything, and that things are in the correct place in the first
place. Not reasonable to expect anyone to certify any type of work
that has been altered after they left it, be it gas, electrics or
water plumbing. He should have issued the paperwork at the time he
finished.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally against the part P imposition - it's a
pain.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Ian_m" wrote in message
"Ian_m" wrote in message
wrote in message
ps.com...
On 31 May, 13:42, "Ian_m" wrote:
[...]

I thinks the issue is
- Fitter/Prat P man comes in does all wiring as no ceiling in kitchen so
adding ring, adding lights adding cooker feed all easy peasy. Also can just
chase down walls for new ring as he sees fit.
- Plasterer comes in to replace ceiling, rearranges light wiring as he
sees fit, repairs walls.
- Fitter comes back fits new kitchen, intends to come back to finish
plinths, final checks when tiler has tiled floors and walls.
- Tiler does his job but moves fused spur and might have even
repositioned some sockets so as to "fit better" with tiles around.
- Fitter comes back to finish plinths and complete final electrical test
and finds some unknown amount of his worked has been altered.

Fitter refuses to issue Part P as he no longer knows what is his work
anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian_m" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"Ian_m" wrote in message
"Ian_m" wrote in message
wrote in message
ps.com...
On 31 May, 13:42, "Ian_m" wrote:
[...]

So shoot the project manager who let the other trades alter things.
And shoot the planner who choose sub-optimal positions (assuming the
new locations are what you now want). I think that the sparks was
entirely right not to issue a certificate if others have boogered
arround with his work.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"Ian_m" wrote in message
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"Ian_m" wrote in message
"Ian_m" wrote in message
wrote in message
ps.com...
On 31 May, 13:42, "Ian_m" wrote:
[...]

The customer is the "project manager". If the plasterer says to customer "I
think the lights would be much better moved to here", the customer is hardly
likely to say "no" and realise the implications of this decision. Same with
the tiler and underfloor heatng control, "he said, oh you don't want to fit
it there, it would be much better here..."