Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default can I place the leccy meter box above the gas box

Usually gas and leccy is located side by side on the extenal wall, -
is there any regulation or other that can stop me from re-position the
leccy box over the gas ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Usually gas and leccy is located side by side on the extenal wall, -
is there any regulation or other that can stop me from re-position the
leccy box over the gas ?

Yes - _you're_ not allowed to move _their_ equipment.

Any attempt to do so might be dangerous, and you would be working on
an unfused cable connected directly to the main in the street.

Search youtube.com for "flashover" you might get an idea what i'm
talking about. I'm not terribly good on figures these days, but the
prospective fault current on an LV cable can be something like 15KA
(15,000 Amps) IIRC.

Add to that that some cables don't like to be disturbed after they've
been in-situ for a number of years, and the odds are it won't be long
enough to do what you want anyway, and...

....last but not least:

There are regs for the max and min height from the floor for meter
cupboards. Your idea would almost certainly fall outside these.

If and when you decide to fluck this up yourself, bear in mind that
when you get out of the local burns unit, your electricity supply will
have been cut off for safety and you'll have to pay for a new supply
anyway...

Call your local REC and ask for a quote for a service alteration :-p
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 May 2007 23:22:24 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Usually gas and leccy is located side by side on the extenal wall, -
is there any regulation or other that can stop me from re-position the
leccy box over the gas ?

Yes - _you're_ not allowed to move _their_ equipment.

Any attempt to do so might be dangerous, and you would be working on
an unfused cable connected directly to the main in the street.

Search youtube.com for "flashover" you might get an idea what i'm
talking about. I'm not terribly good on figures these days, but the
prospective fault current on an LV cable can be something like 15KA
(15,000 Amps) IIRC.

Err, thought it was 8kA.

Add to that that some cables don't like to be disturbed after they've
been in-situ for a number of years, and the odds are it won't be long
enough to do what you want anyway, and...

...last but not least:

There are regs for the max and min height from the floor for meter
cupboards. Your idea would almost certainly fall outside these.

If and when you decide to fluck this up yourself, bear in mind that
when you get out of the local burns unit, your electricity supply will
have been cut off for safety and you'll have to pay for a new supply
anyway...

I'll second everything that CW has said. When you've attended the odd
inquest or two it tends to harden the attitude.

Call your local REC and ask for a quote for a service alteration :-p

I'll put a kinder interpretation on your choice of words than CW and assume
that was *really* what you intended to do. They'll be fully aware of
minimum separation requirements, mounting heights, etc.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 8:08 am, The Wanderer wrote:
[...]

Thank you for you quick responses - I worded my question incorrectly -
I didn't plan to do the move myself - I would get the leccy company as
well as the leccy involved.

Do you know where I can find those Min/max floor distances/
measurements so I can establish if it's a plan worth pursuing. ?

Thanks
Larry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May 2007 01:32:43 -0700, elpee mused:

[...]

Ring the REC, get them out for a quote. They'll tell you where it can
and can't go.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:

Err, thought it was 8kA.

16 kA, surely for single-phase supplies up to 100 A, and 18 kA for 3-ph
supplies up to 100 kVA.

Higher figures apply, I believe, in the former LEB area, where they
presumably use larger distribution transformers and cables, and more
heavily interconnected LV networks(?)

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May 2007 01:32:43 -0700, elpee wrote:

snip

Do you know where I can find those Min/max floor distances/
measurements so I can establish if it's a plan worth pursuing. ?

NJUG 6 (National Joint Utilities Group) is the 'common' spec for service
arrangements for new properties, but the NJUG web site says all their
standards are currently under review and are not available for d/l.

Talk to your local distribution company, they'll be able to give you the
info. As it's just info you're looking for at this stage, tell them and
they'll probably have a leaflet they could post to you.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Err, thought it was 8kA.
16 kA, surely for single-phase supplies up to 100 A, and 18 kA for 3-ph
supplies up to 100 kVA.

I can't remember, but I know it's enough to make a quick kebab out of
you...

external gas meter box coffeeman UK diy 7 December 10th 06 11:34 PM
Fitting a cavity gas meter box [email protected] UK diy 6 July 22nd 05 10:49 AM
Gas meter box [email protected] UK diy 5 June 18th 05 03:53 PM
Gas meter box location [email protected] UK diy 1 June 2nd 05 12:27 PM
New gas meter box damp proofing Terry Thorne UK diy 0 November 29th 03 03:04 PM