Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shower cubicle - aquapanel direct onto brick wall ?

I have ripped out the alcove /recess shower cubicle in our bathroom for a
complete refit.

The existing was 15 - 20 years old (inherited , we have had it for 15 years)
looking a bit tatty and there was a small leak.

On two sides I will be fixing aquapanel (previously plasterboard )to
existing stud partition using the special aquapanel screws..

The third side is external brick wall . I have removed a thick dark plaster
(waterproof? ) layer back to the brick and treated with PVA. (mainly to keep
dust down while work in progress).

I know that Aquapanel is "normally fixed mechanically " however in these
circumstances can I "glue" it straight onto the brick wall ? using
plasterboard adhesive ?

I want to avoid battening the brick wall to save space ( I will use a
replacement size tray 900 + 760 , but previously with the thickness of the
plaster the tiling went right up to the internal ledge of the tray. I would
prefer to use the full width of the ledge) If I do have to batten it will
have to be a shallow size of batton.

I intend to tank the aquapanels with the Bal system prior to tiling.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May, 12:14, "Richard Morley"
wrote:
[...]

No need for the Bal - aquapanel is fine for tiling straight onto. Best
bet for the brick wall is to plaster it - regular browning then skim
is a good base for plaster once it's dry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I've bonded AP to brickwork ok but the extra weight can be a problem. I
put in a few fixings as well to be on the safe side
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

ISTR Knauf specify mechanical fitting only and therefore won't guarantee
the results if you glue it - for whatever that's worth.

But can you not just apply plaster to the brickwork? The whole point of
Aquapanel is to provide a strong rigid waterproof alternative to
plasterboard in eg a stud wall; not necessary for a brick wall.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Something like Bal GoldStar or Bal RapidSet tile adhesive is suitable
for tiling straight to the brick. You'll get through a bit more
adhesive if the wall is uneven, but makes more sense than fiddling
about with battening and panelling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I disagree. It is incredibly difficult to make a decent fist of even
tiles over an uneven surface. After many jobs done in various ways, my
instinct these days is to slap a flat panel over anything uneven.

I happen to think that plasterboard is fine and that aquapanel is an
overhyped waste of money, but in this case I'd actually use something
stiff like MDF.

Either stuck with expanding foam, or some sort of "no more ********", or
simply screwed to the brick with packing to make it dead flat and vertical.

new shower cubicle installation [email protected] UK diy 5 March 21st 06 03:35 PM
Re-Tiling shower cubicle jon UK diy 6 February 2nd 06 11:43 PM
Shower :Wickes Aquapanel fitting Restoredclassic UK diy 5 February 7th 05 11:36 PM
Sealing a shower cubicle Richard Savage UK diy 2 March 17th 04 06:38 PM