Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Workmate type tables - which one?

My current workmate bench is now 15 years old, and showing it, so I'm
after a new one.
Do I just get another similar Workmate, or are there some other better
or cheaper ones out there?
Thanks
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:

My current workmate bench is now 15 years old, and showing it, so I'm
after a new one.
Do I just get another similar Workmate, or are there some other better
or cheaper ones out there?

I have a Wickes jobby, not too many features but it is solid as a rock.
And you can cut down the middle without hitting metalwork. It's easier
to cut straight with a handsaw if the angle isn't too steep anyway ;-)

Peter

www.the-brights.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
EricP wrote:
I have the original cast alloy version of this and it is still
performing well. Most versatile tool I ever had.

Same here - mine predates B&D making them. It was pretty expensive then,
though.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2007 01:07:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
EricP wrote:
I have the original cast alloy version of this and it is still
performing well. Most versatile tool I ever had.

Same here - mine predates B&D making them. It was pretty expensive then,
though.

Wasn't it worth it though? )

I would like a new top for it and the four plugs that go in the holes
on top. Have not seen any suitable spares for years. Will probably
have to make a nice one to cheer it up sometime.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

Default Workmate type tables - which one? (Spares available)

"A.Lee" wrote in message
My current workmate bench is now 15 years old, and showing it, so I'm
after a new one.
Do I just get another similar Workmate, or are there some other better
or cheaper ones out there?

Sir might look at http://tinyurl.com/yv6sec for a choice

Also on that page are the plugs and catches from various people

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 18:20, (A.Lee) wrote:
My current workmate bench is now 15 years old, and showing it, so I'm
after a new one.

Workmate is still the best. Old Workmates even better than new ones.

You can still buy good quality robust Workmates in folded steel, but
it's the "trade" range rather than the DIY sheds. Avoid gimmicks like
vertical jaw clamps or chain drives, but the dual height feet are
useful. You can even buy new ones with plywood tops if you look hard
enough, otherwise MDF is OK until it gets damp but chipboard is
useless.

If you've got a cast aluminium one, look after it and replace the tops
if needed.

Narrow-based HoLeeFuk WorkFriend copies(sic) aren't worth carrying out
of a skip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
I had one of the original blue Workmates for donkey's years until it
eventually reached the end of its useful life after about 20 years.

I thought the diecast ones pre-dated the blue, folded metal ones. (?)

This was tubular steel and diecast parts - perhaps not the first model,
but certainly predated the folded metal rubbish.

I've never seen one with tubular steel. I thought the first B&D one was a
mixture of ally castings and pressed steel - painted blue. My original non
B&D is bare ally.

--
*Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Cut my workmate front panel in 2 Life_Is_Good_In_Austin Woodworking 29 February 23rd 07 05:08 AM
Turning Workmate into workbench boorite Woodworking 18 September 14th 06 12:44 PM
replacement for workmate table william kossack Woodworking 1 December 26th 05 03:51 AM
Workmate Opinions Richard Woodworking 21 July 21st 05 02:06 PM
Workbench / Workmate SB Woodworking 12 November 15th 04 04:38 PM