Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing the grout in the shower

I've got a leak into my kitchen ceiling below my upstairs shower and
it looks like the grout is cracked around the wall tiles. I have two
questions:-

(1) How do you repair this damage to the craked grouting?

(2) How do you keep the grouting around the tiles clean and like new?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

barontorc wrote:
I've got a leak into my kitchen ceiling below my upstairs shower and
it looks like the grout is cracked around the wall tiles. I have two
questions:-

(1) How do you repair this damage to the craked grouting?

To get a permanent repair, you will need to rake out the existing grout
and re-grout. This isn't as much work as it sounds, it takes a few hours.

One of these is very useful:
http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...str=grout+rake

(2) How do you keep the grouting around the tiles clean and like new?

Regular cleaning with limescale remover helps a lot, but no grout
remains 'like new' forever. White grout is doomed to discolour.

One solution is not to use white grout.

--
Grunff
Low temperature Stirling engine:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

barontorc wrote:

I've got a leak into my kitchen ceiling below my upstairs shower and
it looks like the grout is cracked around the wall tiles. I have two
questions:-

(1) How do you repair this damage to the craked grouting?

Rake out and regrout. Make sure you are not using grout to seal any gaps
that are prone to movement (i.e. the one between tiles and shower tray
for example). Use silicone sealant for these joints.

(2) How do you keep the grouting around the tiles clean and like new?

There are a couple of things you can do when the grout is new that will
help keep it looking good for longer. The first is to ensure the
application of it is smooth without any lumps in the surface - careful
tooling or sponging before it dries will help. Next treat it with a
grout protection product. This is a good one:

http://www.extensive.co.uk/product.php/11/0/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

barontorc wrote:
I've got a leak into my kitchen ceiling below my upstairs shower and
it looks like the grout is cracked around the wall tiles.

Sounds likely, but may be worth covering the cracked area with
waterproof duct tape to see if that stops the leak before you set to.
(and if you're a lazy bugger, the tape can last for months! although if
you have a SWMBO it'll make her bleat a bit. Or a lot.)

David