Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default strengthening timber floor for 350kg weight

i have a large accumulator tank (300l) which when full will be approx
350kg. what should i do to strengthen the floor where it will stand.

at the moment the floor is 7"x2" joists resting on bricks on the solum
about a metre apart (so its not really suspended). the joists are at
450mm centres. at the moment the tank (empty) is on 18" ply which
spans 3 joists.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 May, 15:33, John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
i have a large accumulator tank (300l) which when full will be approx
350kg. what should i do to strengthen the floor where it will stand.

at the moment the floor is 7"x2" joists resting on bricks on the solum

So in reality IIUC you have a 7x2" spanning 1m, with the added benefit
of extra cantilever resistance from the joist the other side of the
brick supports.

about a metre apart (so its not really suspended). the joists are at
450mm centres. at the moment the tank (empty) is on 18" ply which
spans 3 joists.

I would have thought that would be adequate as it is.

In fact, I just plugged the numbers into Superbeam for you....

Ignoring the cantilever, with that sized joist on that span, with the
3.5kN uniform load shared over three of them, you get a worst case
deflection of 0.15mm - so *way* inside.

--
Cheers,

John.

thanks ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

In fact, I just plugged the numbers into Superbeam for you....

Hello John

I saw your Google Sketchup project and like many others here was well
impressed.

What's Superbeam?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2007 19:22:38 +0100 Bypass wrote :
I saw your Google Sketchup project and like many others here was well
impressed.

What's Superbeam?

Software for basic steel and timber beam and column design

http://www.sda.co.uk/sbw1.htm

The original version was written in 1979 (for a Commodore PET) and has
been on sale commercially since 1989.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bypass wrote:

I saw your Google Sketchup project and like many others here was well
impressed.

What's Superbeam?

I was about to say Tony will be along shortly to tell you, but I see he
beat me to it!

Nice bit of software that will help you either design or cock up a set
of structural calcs really quickly. The outcome depending on the quality
of the information you give it!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2007 21:45:16 +0100 John Rumm wrote :
Nice bit of software that will help you either design or cock up a set
of structural calcs really quickly. The outcome depending on the quality
of the information you give it!

The disclaimer on early versions said "If you don't know what you're doing,
this program will help you design dangerous structures even more quickly"
but I had to remove this on legal advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Sat, 12 May 2007 21:45:16 +0100 John Rumm wrote :
Nice bit of software that will help you either design or cock up a set
of structural calcs really quickly. The outcome depending on the quality
of the information you give it!

The disclaimer on early versions said "If you don't know what you're doing,
this program will help you design dangerous structures even more quickly"
but I had to remove this on legal advice.

That's the problem with legal advice, makes the world so much duller! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.