Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Change to usage conditions for shaver outlet in 17th Edition

I haven't yet purchased a copy of the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations,
although this is in the shopping basket for my next Amazon order.

However, I am doing first fix wiring for my cloakroom project, wherein
I am adding a shaver outlet, principally for charging small portable
items like trimmers and nose trowels.

The room has a basin and lavatory only.

AIUI, there is no issue of location in terms of zones, but just wanted
to check that that remains the case.

Secondly, there is the issue of supply to the shaver outlet.

The outlet manufacturer specifies circuit protection at 6A max. but
doesn't indicate supply source. I can't find a specific reference in
16th Edition either.

I have the choice of supply from the lighting circuit (6A MCB) or a
spur from a ring final circuit with FCU into which I can insert 5A
fuse and connect the shaver outlet to that.

Is there anything in 17th Edition that would limit my choice or is
there anything in 16th that I may have missed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I haven't yet purchased a copy of the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations,
although this is in the shopping basket for my next Amazon order.

Oh, is it out already? Better grab a copy as well then....

The room has a basin and lavatory only.

So it is not a "special location" then...

AIUI, there is no issue of location in terms of zones, but just wanted
to check that that remains the case.

True for 16th edition[*], can't speak for 17th.
[*] with the obvious caveat of the requirement that accessories be
appropriate for the location they are installed in - so an inch directly
above the sink would not be wise.

Secondly, there is the issue of supply to the shaver outlet.

The outlet manufacturer specifies circuit protection at 6A max. but
doesn't indicate supply source. I can't find a specific reference in
16th Edition either.

I have the choice of supply from the lighting circuit (6A MCB) or a spur
from a ring final circuit with FCU into which I can insert 5A fuse and
connect the shaver outlet to that.

Either would be acceptable (as would a FCU in the ring rather than on a
spur). I did mine from the lighting circuit, but only because it was
shaver socket built into a shaving light, and it was more convenient to
take a feed from the lighting circuit.

Is there anything in 17th Edition that would limit my choice or is there
anything in 16th that I may have missed?

Nothing in the 16th that I can think of. I am sure Andy can answer the
other bit! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.