Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood floor on Marmox???

Hello

The wife has changed her mind again. No longer happy with the
500x500mm 20mm thick Welsh slate tiles I purchased for the living room
floor, she now wants wood. Trouble is the Marmox board is already
down.

I've got enough 9"x1" boards to do the job. The wood is about 50yrs
old, from an attic store room and has never been nailed. Can I lay it
directly on the Marmox? If I have to put some plywood down it will
play havoc with my levels.

While on the subject of wood. Has anyone noticed that timber from
50years ago seems a lot harder/denser/stronger than today?

Regards

T.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

My guess is that this is more to do with how wood ages than with
inferior manufacturing :-)

--
Grunff

No, I believe that it is the speed of growth that affects the density
of the wood. When a rafter was changed in my roof 23 years ago I
compared the original (1903 Baltic Pine) with the replacement likn
dried and pressure treated timber going back in. The Baltic Pine was 3
times the density ! (yes sad person that I am, I weighed samples!)
Comparing the end grain the original had growth rings far more densely
packed, so was slow growing, whereas the kiln dried had widely spaced
growth rings.

Something to do with GW? Trees grow faster in the warm. ;-)

Its also the size of the trees.. these days they are cut down as soon as
they can make a plank out of them.
In the olden days you could get 18" boards but not now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 May, 14:51, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

No, I believe that it is the speed of growth that affects the density
of the wood. When a rafter was changed in my roof 23 years ago I
compared the original (1903 Baltic Pine) with the replacement likn
dried and pressure treated timber going back in. The Baltic Pine was 3
times the density ! (yes sad person that I am, I weighed samples!)
Comparing the end grain the original had growth rings far more densely
packed, so was slow growing, whereas the kiln dried had widely spaced
growth rings.

I concur! The old stuff is way heavier, and surprisingly still smells
very strongly of pine when you cut it. It looks much slower growing
wood.

Regards

T.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 May, 14:04, Grunff wrote:
wrote:
I've got enough 9"x1" boards to do the job. The wood is about 50yrs
old, from an attic store room and has never been nailed. Can I lay it
directly on the Marmox? If I have to put some plywood down it will
play havoc with my levels.

Only if you intend to lay it floating. Are these boards T&G, and are
they end-matched? If so, you could lay it floating. If not, then you
need something solid underneath, so ply is a must.

Thanks for the advice. I have used it to persuade my wife to stick to
our original plans. I have however compromised a bit by agreeing to
install electric underfloor heating, which I hope we will use only
occasionally.

Regards

T.