Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet shampooer

Recommendations please for a shampoo-er for wool carpets and others.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May, 09:50, Jim S wrote:
Recommendations please for a shampoo-er for wool carpets and others.

I've used a Vax for a number of years and been very pleased.
On one occasion I dropped a full tin of coloured varnish on a cream
rug. After calming down, I filled the vax with white spirit and
cleaned the rug with that. I followed up with a normal clean and rinse
and all was perfect.
I use the same automatic washing liquid that we use for the washing
machine instead of carpet shampoo. It's easy and cheap to get. I then
rinse with fabric softener or clear water and I get very good results.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May 2007 05:26:29 -0700, John
wrote:

I filled the vax with white spirit

ROFLMAO!!!

Your guardian angel must have been on hand and worked hard for you. I
suppose you could have tried petrol.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Jim S" wrote:
Recommendations please for a shampoo-er for wool carpets and others.

I have only used Bissell and am very pleased with the results. You can buy
reconditioned machines from he
https://www.bissell-secure.co.uk/site/products2.php?cat=5&PHPSESSID=a9bade215a695b1bac07 8ca118b27d2e

Happy shampooing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May, 09:50, Jim S wrote:
Recommendations please for a shampoo-er for wool carpets and others.

I've used a Vax for a number of years and been very pleased.
On one occasion I dropped a full tin of coloured varnish on a cream
rug. After calming down, I filled the vax with white spirit and
cleaned the rug with that. I followed up with a normal clean and rinse
and all was perfect.
I use the same automatic washing liquid that we use for the washing
machine instead of carpet shampoo. It's easy and cheap to get. I then
rinse with fabric softener or clear water and I get very good results.

John

Is this the big old orange drum shaped one or a newer model.
I own an old one, but found it made everything very wet.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May, 09:50, Jim S wrote:
Recommendations please for a shampoo-er for wool carpets and others.

I've used a Vax for a number of years and been very pleased.
On one occasion I dropped a full tin of coloured varnish on a cream
rug. After calming down, I filled the vax with white spirit and
cleaned the rug with that. I followed up with a normal clean and
rinse and all was perfect.

You were very lucky not to have caused a major fire. Vacuum motors have
carbon brushes which spark and white spirit is highly inflammable. The Vax
probably has a by pass secondary cooled vacuum motor which reduced the
chances. I wouldn't do it again if I were you.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim S wrote:
Recommendations please for a shampoo-er for wool carpets and others.

I have very recently used a rug doctor from Homebase. The carpet cam up
a treat.

A lot cheaper than buying one.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
On 4 May, 09:50, Jim S wrote:
Recommendations please for a shampoo-er for wool carpets and others.

I've used a Vax for a number of years and been very pleased.
On one occasion I dropped a full tin of coloured varnish on a cream
rug. After calming down, I filled the vax with white spirit and
cleaned the rug with that. I followed up with a normal clean and rinse
and all was perfect.

Bloody hell - worthy of an honorary Darwin Award (attempted), that one...

David

Carpet Shampooing is the worst thing you can do to your carpet. dbl400 Home Repair 7 March 21st 07 10:38 AM
Joining carpet 2 carpet & carpet 2 tiles JoeJoe UK diy 1 September 1st 06 07:24 AM
Carpet Shampooer Jo UK diy 6 November 9th 04 02:27 PM
Carpet cleaner/shampooer Jane Home Ownership 2 November 24th 03 03:00 AM