Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc

Default Power Supply

I've a KVM computer switch that's crying out for a 12v 1A PSU.

In my box of spares I've a 12v 900mA and a 10v 1A.

Should I attempt to run this off either, or stop being a lazy sod and
get myself to Maplin tomorrow?

If I were to use either, which would be best? And if something were to
break, would it be the KVM or the PSU?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:42:08 +0100, Alan Kirkup
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

I've a KVM computer switch that's crying out for a 12v 1A PSU.

What model? I've used Belkin and Adderview ones that *can* use a PSU but
normally don't need to because they get their power from the keyboard
connector.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc

Marcus Houlden wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:42:08 +0100, Alan Kirkup
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

I've a KVM computer switch that's crying out for a 12v 1A PSU.

What model? I've used Belkin and Adderview ones that *can* use a PSU but
normally don't need to because they get their power from the keyboard
connector.

Hi Marcus, It's a 16 port Belkin. I've used 4/8 port Adderview's without
PSU's, but wondered about a 16-port one without external power. Maybe I
should just give it a go.... Can't be any worse than plugging in an
under-rated supply !
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc

On 30 Apr 2007 23:38:38 GMT, Marcus Houlden
mused:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:42:08 +0100, Alan Kirkup
wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

I've a KVM computer switch that's crying out for a 12v 1A PSU.

What model? I've used Belkin and Adderview ones that *can* use a PSU but
normally don't need to because they get their power from the keyboard
connector.

I use a PSU on my KVM (definitely not a Belkin) because it saves it
switching when PC's are rebooted. Not essential but handy, because I'm
too lazy to lean over and press the button on the KVM, or press the 5
button keyboard shortcut sequence to switch screens.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:42:08 +0100, Alan Kirkup
mused:

I've a KVM computer switch that's crying out for a 12v 1A PSU.

In my box of spares I've a 12v 900mA and a 10v 1A.

Should I attempt to run this off either, or stop being a lazy sod and
get myself to Maplin tomorrow?

If I were to use either, which would be best? And if something were to
break,

I'd use the 12V 900mA one. (Well, not strictly true, I have loads of
12VDC 1A and bigger PSU's for CCTV equipment so would obviously use a
1A one )

would it be the KVM or the PSU?

If you use the 900mA one then it'd probably be the PSU, but for 100mA
I doubt it would fry.

--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.misc

"Alan Kirkup" wrote in message
I've a KVM computer switch that's crying out for a 12v 1A PSU.

In my box of spares I've a 12v 900mA and a 10v 1A.

Should I attempt to run this off either, or stop being a lazy sod and
get myself to Maplin tomorrow?

If I were to use either, which would be best? And if something were to
break, would it be the KVM or the PSU?

The 12V 900mA provided it is regulated.
If its unregulated it could chuck out 12V-15V or possibly more.