Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default making over a kitchen and bathroom

I have a very old kitchen and bathroom - they are 1970's? The bathroom
suite is cast iron bath and porcelain close coupled toilet and avocado
colour.

I would like a new one but have problems getting it done!

Is there anything I can do that's is fairly easy ( ie cannot do DIY - in my
day girls did cooking and needlework and boys did carpentry/ metalwork and
hammering in nails etc.) to cover up all the stains on the bath?

Also my kitchen is a 1970's/80's fitted one ( its a sort of linen weave
coloured one - pale beige if anyone remembers when those were around ) .
The worksurface is very stained now, especially round the sink where it
seems to be going rusty ( OH tells me this is because the sink brackets are
rusting out and coming through on the surface) and I was wondering if there
was anyway I could re cover it . I had thought of painting but dont think it
would work somehow.

Does putting new doors on old base units work? I would like to have some new
doors . I have a drawer unit which was replaced recently because the old one
broke and now the rest looks a bit odd. The new drawer unit is gloss
white.

Anyone know anyway to make a kitchen and bathroom over nicely when they are
old like mine.

I would have them changed but my OH is being difficult. ( he is a
plumber!!!!!!!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bluebell" wrote:
I have a very old kitchen and bathroom - they are 1970's? The bathroom
suite is cast iron bath and porcelain close coupled toilet and avocado
colour.

30 years old? All needs ripping out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"News Groups" secret wrote in message ...
"bluebell" wrote:
I have a very old kitchen and bathroom - they are 1970's? The

bathroom
suite is cast iron bath and porcelain close coupled toilet and

avocado
colour.

30 years old? All needs ripping out.

You'll be sorry! They'll all be collectors items going on the Antiques
Roadshow in no time flat. I remember my parents hating Victorian style
with the ferver I apply to 1930's stuff that people now seem to drool
over G Now where are my flairs and kipper tie?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bluebell" wrote:
I have a very old kitchen and bathroom - they are 1970's? The bathroom
suite is cast iron bath and porcelain close coupled toilet and avocado
colour.

30 years old? All needs ripping out.

Except I cant. If you have read my other thread you will understand why. My
husband ( a plumber by trade and a skinflint by nature) thinks that if
something is still working ( ir water comes out of the taps , no leaks, no
drips ( and even if there were drips he would just change the tap washer -
five minutes) and nothing smells , it does not need ripping out.

So I have an old bathroom and an old kitchen and I have to make do and mend
.. ( No we are not of the war time generation, I was born in the 1960's
although he is a fities model). I blame the government and the emphasis on
recycling and saving the bloody planet myself. This is why I have no
kitchen and no new bathroom. If it works, why spend resources on a new one
and create waste?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:47:58 +0100, Owain
wrote:

bluebell wrote:
So I have an old bathroom and an old kitchen and I have to make do and mend

Have you ever thought of a good fire, and get it all done on the insurance?

.... thereby sharing the cost around all of us...

;-)

--
Frank Erskine